Should I get a Manequin?

Hi, I have a strange question- does anyone use those manequins that are just 1/2 a body? I want something to show my work, a dress form is too expensive and those 1/2 manequins are pretty cheap on ebay. Do you just pin your work in the back? How does it work for displaying your garments. These would only be for pics, not for selling. Thanks! Carey

:yay Finally! Here is a question that I can answer. LOL I used to be a store decorator, so this is a little up my alley.

How you pin it depends on what the half form is made of. If it's made of styrofoam or something softer like that, then the pins can go right through the clothing item and into the form. If it's hard plastic, then you bunch everything up in the back, make sure the front looks nice, and clip it with a clip or pins. When you take a pic of the back then you reverse the bunching to the front. Usually the forms are pretty small sized and not usually formed exactly like a normal person, so you do have to do some of that bunching or pining to get it all right. It also depends on how fitted your items are. Mine are usually pretty form fitted, so I have to do a lot of adjusting. If yours are looser, then you don't have to worry so much about all that. If you don't want pins in your work, then those little banana clips work. I don't really care for the teeth on the banana clips, so I liked the potato chip bag clips. They worked pretty good. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I have a woman and a child 1/2 form that I use when I sell things on eBay. They are shaped well enough that I've never had to do any clipping even though they are open in the back. They have a hanger too so you can put them on a door to photograph if you heed to. I think they are worth the investment to show an item and how it looks "in real life",

Make your own dress forms. This site has a very cost effective method using duct tape. You could make several!

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

PS. If you're making hats, I don't think it is a good idea to use the duct tape method unless you make sure you have some straws for your nose and mouth.

Make your own dress forms. This site has a very cost effective method using duct tape. You could make several!

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

PS. If you're making hats, I don't think it is a good idea to use the duct tape method unless you make sure you have some straws for your nose and mouth.

What an hysterical website! At first I thought they were kidding when they talked about wrapping themselves in duct tape. And I love your P.S. about making hats:lol. I think I'll look at eBay for the half forms instead!:hook

Archived