Plush Hitchhiker Dolls

I saw an ad for some plush Hitchhiker dolls here.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/darkharper/h2g2toy1.jpg

So I went to this site http://www.scifiwarehouse.com/ where you type in 'guide plush' and can see them up close.

Here they are. Hope the pics aren't too big.

Turns out they are knitted, (at least they look knitted to me),

marvinknitted1kf.jpgfordprefectknitted7ez.jpgarthurdentknit5bx.jpg

HHGTrish.jpgHHgGZaphod.jpg

but I bet that Marvin The Paranoid Android one (the first picture) would be easy to make a crocheted version of.

***************spoiler**************************

I finally saw the movie yesterday and so now the knit dolls make sense to me. (I thought it was such an unusual thing to make as merchandise for a movie). :lol

I have to figure out how these are made so I can crochet them. I didn't realize these were from the movie "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". My youngest son (18) has read this book (it's one of his favs) and just saw the movie and he's been raving about it to me. Keeps telling me I have to see it. He knows me and what I like so it must have been just up my alley. These would make awesome Christmas gifts for him.

Did you see the prices at that sight though? £10.99 each! That's about $20.00 U.S. dollars, isn't it? And then if you wanted the whole set, ACK!!! :eek But they are really really cute!

I'm trying to make the Marvin. I have the legs and arms done, no problem. But the body, hmmm, should I start with the black triangle and go from there?

And the head. Should it be started by making the green eyes, border them with the black along with the strip across, ( I don't think it goes completely around his head.) I don't even know if it would look as nice crocheted. (Gasp! Did I really say that???) There's so much detail in the other figures. I could never make them.

I love the Ford Prefect character with his bag and towel, (must always carry a towel!!!) :lol and I love the Trish/Trillian girl. She's really cute.

The one I am having a hard time liking is the main character Arthur Dent He's in the middle. Bleh! :lol He's so,...ordinary-looking. I liked him in the movie though.

My favorite character in the movie was Beeblebrox, (the bearded guy). He really stole the show. Gosh, I wish I could make these. Well, if my Marvin turns out presentable, I'll post a pic. But most likely I will crash and burn, and then order the dang thing! :lol

Alright, you recall the knitted mARVIN...

marvinknitted1kf.jpg

Well, here's my crocheted Marvin.th_marvin009.jpg

It was fun but harder than I thought it would be.

I was able to do the triangle on the chest, but the eyes were just too hard to do while going around and around the head. I couldn't make them come out right so I made the triangles first, went around in the black, then did the head with white. Once you go around and reach the eye, you crochet the end of it, then just go behind the eye and chain the proper of number of stitches until you come to the other end, join to the eye again, and continue.

I just couldn't do it any other way.

Here's more of the Marvin shots,.....

th_marvin011.jpg

The back. Decreasing the big head can be spotted but there is just no way around that either.

th_marvin010.jpg

A side shot.

I decreased the body from the back so it looks cute like he has a bit of bottom there. His body is sort of tear drop shaped.

th_marvin006.jpg

Here he is naxt to the mosaic tote I just finished today too. I posted about the tote in the "Show and Tell" section.

th_marvin004.jpg

You know, this tote holds a lot. Even paranoid androids, :lol

WOW! :eek Now I know I have to make Marvin! And I absolutely love that mosaic tote bag!! :manyheart Awesome job!!!

Archived