Fun Dog Toy Ideas

miller3602

Since we got our wonderful new chi puppy Bessie, I've been making her lots of toys. Now, I'll share some ideas with you for making your own!

*Most of these ideas work with smaller dogs, but you could probably adjust them to fit your larger dog, too!*

:yarnFlingy Ball:yarn

Crochet a ball in the round amigurumi style at about 24 sts. Dec ami style until you have 6 sts. Don't weave the tail through the hole! but hide it in the ball. Now with 2 long pices of a different color yarn, weave through the sts and pull tight. Knot. Crochet the left over yarn into a chain until you reach the end of the yarn. Knot that.

Finally, give the ball to Fido! Bessie loves grabbing the chain and flinging the ball around.

:crochetingGrabbing Chain:crocheting

Take 5 long pieces of cotton yarn. Make a slip knot and crochet a chain until you reach the end of the yarn. Knot.

Although very simple, this toy makes for tons of time chewing. In fact, Bessie is chewing on it right now!

:teddyToys:teddy

Basically any toy will work with a dog. Bessie needs something like leags and arms on it that she can drag around the toy with. Just make sure that the arms/legs/ears are all sewn on VERY good! You don't want to walk into a room and find a sad looking pig with its nose halfway across the room, now do you?

:computeWebsites:compute

I like the ideas!! Especially the grabbing chain!! Sounds like something our dogs would love (all 5 and a 1/2 of them)!!! It'd be so much cheaper too!! And it really wouldn't take long to whip a few up!!

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Julee

Thanks for those ideas!:cheer Our male is getting old and doesn't like to play as much... but our female is still playing.

Here's another tip. Pet stores, like Petsmart have squeeker replacements. You can get 5 for about $2. I got some to make some dog toys for Christmas. Then you put the squeeker in the middle before you sew up (or after you have half the stuffing in the toy).

Debbi

ok...it's not crochet, nor knit..

but try washing out an empty milk gallon jug.. or two-liter soda bottle for your pup to play around with... drop some treats into it.. and watch as the pup tries to get at them..

We had the actual dog toy for something like that. It looks like a cone. Our dogs got them out too easily... no fun to watch:lol. But a good idea.

Archived