Sock yarn baby hat?

crochetrae

Question

Anybody know of a pattern for a baby hat that uses sock yarn? I love the way sock yarn stripes and think it would look so cute as a hat. But I have been unable to find a pattern that uses that thin a yarn. Your first instinct will be to suggest I design one, but really, my talents do not run in that direction :no.

Thanks for any responses!

susan

7 answers to this question

I've used sock yarn for hats before. Just go up a hook size until you get the size you need. :)

Anybody know of a pattern for a baby hat that uses sock yarn? I love the way sock yarn stripes and think it would look so cute as a hat. But I have been unable to find a pattern that uses that thin a yarn. Your first instinct will be to suggest I design one, but really, my talents do not run in that direction :no.

Thanks for any responses!

susan

If you have the right hook for it, there's not really any designing involved if you just want a simple hat. Just make a circle (12 st in a ring, increase 12 stitches per round) and work it to a diameter (measure straight across the center of the circle) of about 3.75 inches to 4 inches for a newborn (somewhere in that range). Then just crochet around until it's about 5.5 to 6 inches (that includes a little fold up brim). That would make just a basic fold up hat, which would probably show the stripes the best. You can look at Bev's country cottage for more sizes - just remember to do the math.

Archived