FOUND - Crochet machines.

I can't see how that would make what we make. I would guess that it works on a "chain stitch" mechanism as it has very limited use but it is an iinteresting find. I suppose if you have to ask the price; you can't afford it. :rofl

Well they keep trying but so far they can't compete in real terms with real crocheters.

In Asian countries, the words "knit" and "crochet" are used interchangably. (apparently no knit vs crochet prejudice going on there)

Those machines that say they're crochet machines, they're just knitting machines. Knit fabric can be created with a machine.

Crochet, on the other hand, is not something that can be created by a machine. It's too complex for a machine to replicate and can only be done by human hands.

The crochet trim on sweaters in WalMart and other stores....that's done by hand.

I'm not talking about trim on sweaters. If you go in the sewing section where all the by the yard lace and eyelet is, there is crochet trim.

While I agree that hats, sweaters, blankets, etc. are too complicated for machines; I'm not so sure about these by the yard trims.

If it doesn't unravel when you cut it, i'm willing to bet its either knitted somehow, or twisted cord. Every crocheted edging I've ever seen has had to be made to measure, because it unravels if you look at it wrong.

On the other hand, I've never had a look at what's at Wal-mart, so my two-cents is worth aproximatly that.

I'm not talking about trim on sweaters. If you go in the sewing section where all the by the yard lace and eyelet is, there is crochet trim.

While I agree that hats, sweaters, blankets, etc. are too complicated for machines; I'm not so sure about these by the yard trims.

The fancy trims in the fabric department? Those are machine knitted. (I used to work in a WM fabric dept, had a lot of time to examine that kind of stuff..)

It's also important to remember that the word 'crochet' actually just means 'hook', and not necessarily what we all consider to be crocheting.

I think that's why they use the two words interchangably in Asian countries.

Knitting machines have hooks in them, that could be why they sometimes call knitting machines a "crochet" machine.

I actually visited one of these factories in Taiwan several years ago when I was visiting my daughter who was working there. They say crochet but really they mean more knit. The occasion lace edging rarely looks like complex crochet or even simply crochet like shells.

Don't think I can afford one,:lol. Besides - where would I put one!Just thought you might like to see what we are competing with. These are mostly for lace edgings.

http://www.manufacturers.com.tw/machinery/Crochet-Machines.html

Beverly

I don't think this is a coincidence, but since clicking on your link, I've gotten a couple of emails from Taiwanese manufacturers looking for agents to represent them.

I don't think this is a coincidence, but since clicking on your link, I've gotten a couple of emails from Taiwanese manufacturers looking for agents to represent them.

I clicked the link, and even looked at the larger photos of the machines etc... and haven't heard anything.

Maybe I have a good spam filter?

Sorry! I didn't mean to add to anyone's spammers. Just thought it was interesting to see the machines. I didn't click on any of the images. Just came across the photos when googling images of crochet. I don't really think they can compete with hand crocheting.

Beverly :)

Sorry! I didn't mean to add to anyone's spammers. Just thought it was interesting to see the machines. I didn't click on any of the images. Just came across the photos when googling images of crochet. I don't really think they can compete with hand crocheting.

Beverly :)

Nope, they cant compete with hand crocheting, because those machines are not crocheting at all. They're knitting...and even then, they cant compete with hand knitting either...

Archived