Would this work???

I bought the Mary Maxim kit for the round ripple afghan and I really hate the yarn that is in the kit. :( It is one of those flimsy type yarns that is almost impossible to see the stitches. Think of Lion brand homespun, only about half the diameter.

I was thinking of buying like maybe a sport weight yarn in a color that would blend with the color of the yarn that came in the kit, using a size bigger hook (maybe) use double thread to crochet, hoping the addition of the sport weight may help me in seeing the stitches.

What do you all think?

It would work. I usually use a fun fur with a worsted weight yarn so you can see the stitches. Go up a few sizes so that you have the right drape with the fabric as it turns out.

I recently used a size L with a worsted weight and a ribbon yarn together to get the right feel for a hat.

Try some experimenting. Try a yarn that is in one of the colors of the afghan and just keep going with it. It will give a unique appearance as you see a little of it in different areas.

For example, if it's the purple afghan, you can use a light purple and it will match the colors in some areas and not in others.

Purchase the yarn to match one color in the afghan, this way, it will fade into the background in one area and be part of the next set of colors.

Just experiment. I bet it will turn out great.

:manyheart

Thank you for your replies :hook I thought it might work, but then again I wanted advice of other crocheters cause some things I think might work turn to crapola right before my eyes. :lol

I really wish Mary Maxim would just give one the option of either the kit or just the pattern. There are several patterns I'd love to try, but I hesitate because of the yarn.

I really wish Mary Maxim would just give one the option of either the kit or just the pattern. There are several patterns I'd love to try, but I hesitate because of the yarn.

Me too! And I don't want to spend that much just to get the pattern!

I am really hoping by crocheting with two strands of yarn, that it will be workable for me. I just cannot do it with the yarn that is in the kit alone. I have tried two or three time and end up frogging after about the 3rd row because I absolutely cannot see what I am doing :(

The yarn is very soft so and I know it would feel wonderful as an afghan, so if my second strand is fairly soft also, it will still be okay. If it doesn't work how I hope it will, then I just paid almost 40.00 for one pattern :( I'll have to make afghans from this pattern for the rest of my natural life so I will feel like I got my monye's worth :lol

After you finish row 9 it is just repeating rows 7, 8, and 9 until you get it to the size specified or the size of your choice, so it is one of those easy no brainer patterns that you can sit in front of the tv and work on when you just want to relax. Nothing wrong with that :hook

Mary Maxim has, I think, fabulous afghan designs. They pay designers a lot of money for them. They buy the designs ONLY to sell their yarn.

That's why they are offered only as kits. There is not enough money in selling just a pattern to justify what they pay for the designs.

If you want gorgeous, unusual patterns like that, you gotta pay, one way

or another. Just buy the, use a better yarn, use the yarn that came with

it for something else or give it away.

MM makes their money on their yarn, not on patterns. That's just the

way it is.

Jean Leinhauser

Archived