The Top 100 Crochet & Hooks Sites List

Julie

I hardly know what to say. I created that list over a year ago to feature all of my (our) favorite sites. The hosting site, TopSite Lists, has had no end of problems since the beginning but usually things were fixed and the list would continue. In mid-February of this year, the list stopped updating. This wasn't because of anything I had done on my end, the whole network stopped working. We, the list owners, were told this was a server transfer with multiple errors but that it was being worked on. I held my breath, big mistake. I watched and waited.

Late last night, I checked my Top 100 list just before going to bed. I checked several times a day to see if it had been updated but of course there was never any change. Until last night. They (the hosting site owners) have apparently abandoned the project entirely. The domain name has been allowed to expire without notice or any sort of warning. There is NO technical support at this point in time. I am incredibly upset and incredibly embarrassed. I don't really know what else to say.

For the record I did use their free list hosting service, but at no time were the paid lists getting any better treatment. Their lists stopped working just as mine did. My goal and hope now is to find another hosting service. I enjoyed having the list for the most part and was always amazed and thrilled at the traffic it generated to my sites and the others on the list. I'm happy to take suggestions for other list hosting sites if anyone knows of some they've used and liked.

:(

Well, not that I'm complaining, but it's back up again. It still isn't updated as yet, so I still have some issues to deal with but at least it's back up. :ohdear

Julie,

My husband's got a few toplists. I'll find out who he uses or if he hosts his own and let ya know.

I did the hard refresh just now, it's still there. Or back again. Or on again/off again like an old lightbulb. Like I said here or on my blog, I have little faith in the ability for the list hosting site to keep the site up. They certainly haven't been able to keep it running properly, so this was just the last straw so far as I'm concerned. I'll never delete the current list, but if I can start a new one I'll do it happily.

Currently there are 132 members on the list. Only 104 of them show up since the update option hasn't worked since mid-February. :bang This has been one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in a very long time.

I just added my blog on to the list, even though you're having problems with it. Maybe one day they'll get it working properly and I'll actually show up on the list! If not, maybe you'll find another site to host it, and I'll join that one!

It's a great idea if you can just find a host site you can depend on.

Thanks Amy! That is incredibly sweet of you! :hug Your site will definitely show up on the list, if and when they ever get the darn thing working properly again. :xfin

Just chiming in for encouragement Julie... :)

I knew there was an updating problem :( but I can see what's still there...104 sites listed (but not the newer ones you mentioned).

I would be sad to see this go as I've used it extensively for patterns, crochet information and just general news!

Glad to learn that you will be keeping it, moving it or whatever...just hang in there!

Thanks again and again. I'll definitely keep this one, as long as the hosting service is around. But I'm going to find a place to host a new list. The old one can will survive for as long as it can and do it's job. Hopefully the new one will WORK. :)

Archived