teaching a lefty (I'm a righty)

We had our crochet "class" yesterday and my "student" who is a lefty was learning lefty. We sat in a position to mirror each other and I had printed lefty directions from somewhere on the net and given them to her and laid them out on the table so she could also see from her own vantage point. After about 20 minutes, she said she doesn't think her hands can do this; it felt awkward and she was getting upset with herself for not getting it straightaway. She thought this would be a piece of cake and is a perfectionist (I said...it WILL be a piece of cake and not to be so hard on herself). I also said, like I always do, this is your first time, relax it should be fun, and no one is going to die if you don't catch on immediatly as it isn't brain surgery...and added....how would you like to try this right handed. She said okay and within 5 minutes whe was chaining comfortably and already gaining confidence. She said she had told her family she was going to learn to crochet and would have a granny square blanket done "in no time." I encouraged her good chaining efforts and said....by our next lesson you WILL be making your granny squares, I have no doubt. Time was running out (we only had about a half hour to begin with as she was late--I do this during lunch hour)...and before we were done, I showed her sc, hdc and dc. I requested she practice chaining some more, and if she could, dc, since we are getting together (a bunch of us) at a friend's house this evening and I anticipate teaching her everything she needs to know to start her blanket. Which when you think about it, chaining, dc and joining in a new color are all she will really need to know to start her desired project. I just found it very interesting that she said "I don't think my hands can do this" when trying lefty, yet picked it up quickly as a righty. :hook This is my second go round with a lefty...the first gal stuck with lefty, and it was more of a refresher course. ...but, I'm glad this is working out and I feel comfortable teaching it.

Thanks for sharing with us, that's a neat story. I hope it continues to go well for her. As long as she's found a method that works for her, great! Great job for continuing to encourage her and work with her to find a way that was comfortable. :)

Whatever works is what I say. I'm a lefty but I bowl and do lots of other things righty, because it just doesn't work right the other way. (Not so with crochet tho.) Glad she's making quick progress and she's still excited.

That's a great story! I'm a lefty and learned from a righty. As a result, I not only crochet from left to right, but I also insert my hook from the back to the front.

Archived