Where is it best to buy cotton yarn?

pidot

Walmart, Michaels or Jo-ann? do they supply the same yarns? My childhood friend from California is coming home to the Philippines and I'm asking her to bring me a lot of yarns and crochet stuff. She lives near Michaels and Jo-ann's. Any californians there want to answer my question please.? it will be appreciated.

thanks,

FE:manyheart

Jo-Ann's and Michael's are both national chains, and yes, they both carry essentially the same products (the major manufacturers, like Lion Brand, Red Heart, Caron, etc.), though there may be a few variations -- Michael's carries a few different colors of Fun Fur from Jo-Ann's, Jo-Ann's has its own line called "Sensations," etc.

I know that Michael's carries smaller balls of Lily Sugar & Cream cotton yarn compared to Jo-Ann's... same yarn, just different quantities. :)

Disclaimer: I work at a Jo-Ann store, so I know their product better.

working at jo-ann's that so lovely! another member's daughter here also works for jo-ann's. thanks for answering my question and giving me that advice. i would really like to try some cotton yarns for making clothing since we have humid weather here all year long. it's also summer here and very warm. I'll just ask later if some more questions arise.

thanks,

Fe

I usually buy my cotton yarns at Wal-Mart because I like the lower prices~~they carry Peaches N Cream. However, when Wal-Mart doesn't have the colors I want, I shop Hobby Lobby for the Sugar N Cream. I've found lots of different color variations in the Peaches and Sugar lines, but they work up the same, so it's nice to have both yarns around.

Thanks Melissa for reminding me about getting lower prices, but i can't see the yarn section on the walmart website. is peaches and cream also from lilyyarns? i really would like to have my color choices before my friend buys it for me. i now have a list of what colors i want to have but i made this list from what is available from jo-anns. i assume that it's all the same from other stores.

I buy my cotton yarns at AC Moore-they have an excellent collection of yarns and also pattern books-

I also purchase my yarns on ebay from a reliable store with cheap shipping-

Joanne in Northern New Jersey

working at jo-ann's that so lovely! another member's daughter here also works for jo-ann's. thanks for answering my question and giving me that advice. i would really like to try some cotton yarns for making clothing since we have humid weather here all year long. it's also summer here and very warm. I'll just ask later if some more questions arise.

thanks,

Fe

Thread is still best for us, Fe.....I like cotton yarn to make shawls or ponchos that I can wear in cooler months from December to before Chinese New Year or to wear in evenings over a nice dress or tank top when I go out with friends or to attend some social function. I understand it's warmer there in Cebu than here in Manila as my SIL who is also from there told me. :)

Yes, i wonder why it's warmer here in cebu. i just want to try some cotton yarn but i wouldn't be using it for garments. I would use thread for it. Probably i'll use this for accessories like bags, and other kitchen stuff like dishcloths and potholders.

Archived