Question????

I love making things for charities. My problem is I have so many different ones I want to make things for.... such as....

NICU - for preemies

Women's Shelter

Animal Shelters

ghans for the nursing home

And so on..... My question is... What is an appropriate amount to have made when you take the stuff to donate?

For example... I wanted to make at least 30 lapghans for the nursing home, but I think I am going to have trouble getting that many made with all the other things I want to make. I get bored after awhile and want to change to something else. I don't want to take only 2 or 3, that just seems like it is not worth it,like I am not making enough to make a difference, but 30 is ALOT to get done. So how do I decide when I have enough to make it seem worth while and to actually have enough to help the charity?

Just wondering what some of you do. Thanks for any advice.

I'm doing the charity crochet along now it's blankets for whatever charity you chose.The charity along items change every 3 months so as to not get bored. I'm making blankets for animal shelters and My goal is 10 I've made 4 24X24 and 1 36X36 I think 10 is a nice amount plus I plan on giving toys handmade and purchased.I'll probably make more than 10 but I know I get bored as well. I've also made quite alot of hats for babies to give to hospitals but haven't delivered them yet I really want to have at least 50 to deliver I've probably made half that now.

me, myself personally, I just send them as I get a few done to fill a box. That way, they are put to use right away and don't sit around waiting for more to go with them...I don't stand on ceremony of sending a "big" donation, I say get them into the hands of the people they're meant for, the quicker the better! I have also done it in the past the other way of saving up for a big donation and I've found the response from facilities to be just as warm whether I sent half a dozen or twenty items at once. That way no one who needs one has to wait if I've already got the item done.

hugs and cheers to you for undertaking so many projects! You'll be blessed many times over for the kindness you show to others.

:hug

I will tell you something. If you decided on doing for the nursing homes.. Slippers are wonders to have, besides the afghans. Just do what I do and have a box sitting by your chair and work on things and toss in it. If you make an afghan and have some of the yarn left over,make hats or slippers. This way your getting two or three things at once..

Hey Kat,

I know what you mean about wanting to do for so many charities. I agree, it's perfectly ok to give just a little at a time. They are just so happy to get them. I sent 5 preemie sets to Texas Childrens Hospital the other day and they very happily received them. I sent 1 lapghan to Project Linus the other day. My friend was just glad to have something to hand in. "It is not the quantity that matters, but the heart that goes into the work". You are doing such a good thing. Keep it fun!;)

Thanks all.... that makes me feel better. I currently have 7 or 8 lapghans done, and I have several baby items. I am waiting on my Mom for the baby items though because she has a box full she has done. She crochets so fast I can't keep up with her. LOL! I am currently working on some kids clothes for the women's shelter (just started on this tonight), and I just don't have the room for all of it to pile up. Plus I really can't stand that they are sitting around here when they could be put to use now.

By the way, I have never made slippers or socks, so does someone have a really easy pattern for me to start with?

THANKS ALL for your advice!

Kat,

About the slippers, let me tell you a little secret - Bev's easy booties pattern makes great slippers. Just increase the hook size a little & start out with more chains. It is such an easy pattern & really does work up nice in the larger sizes, even for adults, just fold the cuff down if you want when you are done. Keep having fun!:cheer Here is the link for the booties pattern. I have made these so many times, I can do them in my sleep:lol :lol

http://bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbooties2.html

Funny thing, I was getting the link for you, & ran across this on her site:

http://bevscountrycottage.com/slippers1.html

Archived