Psm

pretty_bug01

I have made a few changes to my prayer shawl ministry while one of the ladies was gone. I am now starting with a bible verse of the day and a prayer. The one thing that has got me down was that one of the ladies tried to make a rude comment about my decision, without coming out and saying it. Does that make sense?

I wanted to just use 100% wool or cotton. This ministry is about comfort. I want to give the people who receive these gifts the best, even if it costs a little more. I explained about the fact that acrylic, when burned can be permanently burned into the skin, which is why I no longer want to use it. She seemed to think it was a bad decision, from my perspective anyways.

She then went on to tell me that she didn't measure the lapghan she was working on. I said that I would like it to be 36" x 45" to make sure it was big enough. I am not setting rules for no good reason. They are in the best interest of the person who is receiving the item. I want to give out a good impression of the group as well as the church. I want this to come from God, and these decisions I feel are necessary.

Am I being to strict?

Actually, yes, I do believe you're being too strict. Shawls and lapghans for the ministry are made from the heart. If you set too many guidelines, you'll be making them all yourself. Not everyone can afford cotton or wool. Also, size is not crutial. I think you should accept the donations with a smile and a thank you.

If you want the gifts to come from God, then receive them from God. I believe God would accept any gifts from the heart.

I hope you're not offended by my comments, but you asked. I'm just afraid you'll "rule" yourself into doing this ministry alone. God bless you for your efforts and I wish you the best in your ministry.

I agree with Cheryl. While your intentions are totally good, you have to remember that donations are supposed to be given with a happy heart. If you set up too many rules and restrictions, you will end up losing people who want to help from the goodness of their heart.

God loves all people. It does not matter what they are made up of on the outside and inside. Just like your donations should be loved...no matter what yarn is used or what size the end product comes out to be.

I on the other hand think you are do nothing wrong you have good reasoning behind specifying the yarn type.. I have never made a shawl out of anything but cotton it just feels softer washes up better.. as for the lapghan .. I do not think she was saying she would not take what was given from the heart she is just saying that she sets a size to be uniform...

I think that there needs to be more direction than a smile and a thank you for making an item. I chose the size of the lapghans so that they would turn out to be average, there was a thread that a bunch of people posted on saying how big they make their lapghans, so I went with it. I told her that it didn't need to be exact, but close to those measurements.

And there aren't that many rules or guidelines. They can choose the pattern, the colors, layout, it is after all their piece. I just wanted it made out of cotton for the reasons listed above. They can even choose whether to do a lapghan or shawl. I have some cotton available for them to use, so it's not like they are paying for it all out of their pocket.

The reason I set the size was to be uniform, so that each person that receives an item from us gets the same. How fair is it if someone gets a full sized afghan and other a shawl? I set the size to help them out so that they didn't spend a boat load just to make one item.

You also have to remember that the items made speak for the group AND the church. They are donations from the church to a specific person, through this ministry. I want to be fair to the person making the item as much as the person receiving the item. The person receiving the item should deserve the best, and that is what we are making the items for....to bless those who are having it rough at the moment.

Who makes the decision on who receives a shawl vs. who receives a lapghan? I doubt that Widow X would be insulted that she got a lapghan while Widow Y got a shawl. I'm sure both would be touched the church was thinking of them. Frankly, I wouldn't want a cotton lapghan--too heavy when wet to hang up and dry, and then it would stretch out on the laundry line. I'm not sure that the fact that acrylics can burn should be part of your decision. Project Linus actually requests only acrylic and not cotton or wool because of allergies, ease of care, lightness, etc., concerns that are relevant to your target population as well.

I agree with Cheryl and the other posters that you may find you have restricted yourself via the guidelines into a bind and will have to make all these yourself. Enough wool for a lapghan your size might be beyond the budgets of some of the volunteers, and they would leave rather than confess to that, I'm sure. No one will be meeting in the nave of the church to compare sizes of lapghans. While your concerns re: making sure the end product reflects well on the church are well founded and come from the best intentions, anything made with love will reflect well on the church.

Has anyone submitted something to you so ugly or poorly made that you were not comfortable passing it on to the recipient? If not, than perhaps your concerns are anticipating a problem that doesn't exist.

Your heart is in the right place, as are your volunteers'. Patty

Archived