Very novice question

Hazlecreek

I have been knitting for a while, but nothing very taxing. So now I have taken on the Harry Potter scarf (3-4th year) and I have to count the rows to get the stripes right. Now here's the thing...do I count the row that is on my needles or not?? :think

I don't think I've been counting them and I might have to frog it and start over. My gut says that I should be counting it, but my guts been wrong before. ;)

I'm not saying that Hazlecreek is wrong, but I do not consider the loops on the needle as a row. When you cast on you have loops/stitches on your needle. But you have not yet knitted a row, have you? How can this be row 1? After you knit your first row, you can see the evidence of it below the loops/stitches on your needle. In my opinion, THAT is one row.

:cheer

What stitch are you using?

If you are using Stocking stitch, the knit row is always row 1 so every knit row is an odd row.

If you are doing even numbers of rows of each colour, you will start with a knit and finish with a purl.

It is easiest to count the rows from the back because you get the little ridges which make it easier.

After a few changes of colour, you will be able to see if you have the correct number of rows, without counting.

The easiest way to make sure you are counting right is to cast on 10 stitches and work 6 rows.

Now turn it over and see where you can count to get 6 rows.

Now add another colour and work 6 more rows and count the same as before. Do not count the row on the needle but the ridge below it.

The row on the needle is the equivalent to the cast on row which does not count as a row.

:thinkIs this as clear as mud?

Because you are doing a scarf, you do not need to pull it undone, just continue as you are doing.

If someone wants to sit and count your rows, they are being too picky.

The pattern is only a guide.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Because you are doing a scarf, you do not need to pull it undone, just continue as you are doing.

If someone wants to sit and count your rows, they are being too picky.

The pattern is only a guide.

WELL SAID!!!!:yes:yes:yes

I agree a pattern is only a guide and the cast on and cast off row probably don't count as rows.

I do believe the loops on the needles does count as a row. I did the HP scarf on atypically knits and I was supposed have 3 rows of yellow, 5 rows of the burgundy color and then 3 rows of yellow for the bands of color. If I ignored the row on my needles then I would have ended up with something different.

sammimag, that's what I was talking about. I'm doing the Harry Potter scarf from Charmed Knits. It's in a k1 p1 ribbing. It is the same scarf like you made with the thin rows of yellow, with the red between them.

I guess from all of the comments their is no real answer to this question. :think It all a matter of how you knit. :lol

Personally when I knit, I don't count the first row either, although I've seen them sometimes do it on Knitty Gritty, unless the pattern call for it, but as I have never really done anything that required me to use more then one color, and would stand out if done wrong, I just had to ask.

Aggie May, thanks for the tip. I could do that along with a swatch gauge to make sure I get the right count.

I've tried to use a row counter before, but I always forget to turn the darn thing after my row is finished. :blush

Again, thanks ladies for all your help. You wisdom is priceless!! :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, seems to be a cross roads here as to whether folks count the loops on the needle as a row. Technically speaking the row or loops still on the needle are not counted as a row. Here is the reasoning, lets say you have to switch colors every two rows. If you start on the RS (right side) you knit across and turn your work around. Then you knit a row on the WS (wrong side). A RS row and a WS row are two rows and when you turn your work around you are back on the RS waiting to knit a row. So once down and once back counts as two rows and the loops on the needle will be the NEXT RS row, but you haven't knitted it yet so it can't be counted as a row. Make sense??

When you cast on, the cast on loops on the needle are not a row, when you turn your work to do the first row of actual knitting this is the first row, because you will be on the RS of your work. The first RS row will be the first row if you are counting rows. It's easier to see with Stockinette be cause you can cound the "v" 's, it's a little more challenging if you are doing a garter stich since it look the same on the RS and WS.

Archived