California Wildfires Help

Vickietoria

Hi! A friend of mine found this website of a group of ladies who are making afghans for those displaced by the wild fires in California. They're collecting 8" squares of any color, either knit or crochet. This isn't something I'm doing, and all the information is on their blog:

http://sandiegowildfireblankets.blogspot.com/

The address is on the right side of the screen in the margin.

I hope to be able to help some, and I'm so glad that they're doing this! Ever since I heard about the fires, I wanted to do something for the people who have their homes destroyed, and it is getting cooler out. Also, I bet they'll give them to those in the shelters, who are waiting to see if their homes are still there or not. What an endevor!

Anyone else want to help? If you have a revelry account, you can see an article on it by going here:

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/san-diego-fire-8-squares-donations/topics

I don't have one, but my friend sent that too.

You all are amazing!

Victoria

yup. I can help..

I'm in the Northern part of CA. I am on another non-crocheting board.

LOL I didn't watch the news all weekend, until the following Monday

last week. I got a ton of emails from my friends on the board asking,

"Are you ok???" I'm like, "huh?" then I saw what they were talking about

So, yes. would love to help ;) squares are my specialty...

HUGS

~Karla

Are they only accepting squares or would they take a finished blanket too, do you know?

Man, my wish list of projects to contribute to is growing again. . .I hope my hands can keep up. I'll have to see what I can do (can't promise) but hopeful I can maybe send one child's blanket.

Ro

Starting on the squares today. Hopefully by weeks end all have a good number ready. I sure have plenty of yarn :D i am addicted to it LOL

I feel so blessed making those squares.

Hi everyone -

I just had a chance to catch my breath and look in here and WOW - you guys are AWESOME:cheer !!!

I can't tell you how wonderful and overwhelming the response has been in the past few days. 2 nights ago I drove through the effected areas and know now more than ever that what we are doing is SO important!!

1588 families are now homeless because of nature's fury as well as arson. This is what knitters and crocheters do though - we give back to the community. So I will thank you all in advance for being SUCH great people!!

You are ALL virtually HUGGED!! :manyheart

GeorgeAnne Smith

www.sandiegowildfireblankets.blogspot.com

Are they only accepting squares or would they take a finished blanket too, do you know?

Ro

Hi Ro -

I would never want to put a burden on anyone and ask for whole blankets ... but if someone offeres .. well I have a hard time saying NO... Blankets are ALWAYS accepted. If you want to join the squares though the measurements are 7 squaes by 5 squares with a crochet border.

Please feel free to email if you have any questions --

:hug

I just checked out the blog today, and my goodness! Look at the response just in a few days! Her goal is 100 blankets each month, and I know with enough people helping, that this is possible. I have some fleece that I might do an edging on, and make a child's blanket out of. That would also be lighter than regular crochet afghan (for mailing, it'd be cheaper), and would be a comfort. Just throwing out other ideas. :) What a great cause!

Victoria

Thank you, GeorgeAnne for posting here! I will definitely send you an email. Blankies, especially as comfort objects for children, are sort of my calling :) I am finishing up my last blankie for the moment for the Uganda project I was working on all this year and then will turn my attention to a blanket for you- will email you to get the information where to send when its ready.

This and making blankets for Katrina victims, I feel so strongly about. I only wish I were an octopus sometimes with eight arms so I could crochet four blankets at once for all these great causes.

You'll find that the Crochetville people have big hearts! I hope you can reach your goals for your project.

hugs

Ro

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to give this thread a little 'bump'! This project has been on my mind ever since it was first posted here and I am still really hoping to make at least one blanket for it (if people I know would just stop having babies it would be very helpful to my charity crocheting goals! :lol)

Seriously though I see that the project is still going strong according to the blog and wanted to give a shout out to everyone involved- you all inspire me so much!

If I can just power through this list of stuff I have to make then I can get back on track with the stuff I really want to make!!!

Mostly I just wanted to say too that your project, your hard work, and the losses suffered by the people in San Diego are still very much on my mind. You have not been forgotten!!!

hugs to all,

Ro

p.s. Could someone let GeorgeAnne know if they happen to talk to her (I didn't want to send her more email to have to answer) that the "Click to volunteer" link on the blog brings up a locked Blogger profile page? I don't know if they have all the volunteers they need but they might want to check into it and make sure the link works if they still need more folks! Blogger is a blessing mostly but sometimes it can be tempermental!

Thanks for bumping this thread up a little. I'm sure that they're still going strong, and it's a good reminder for me to make more squares for them. With the holidays over, I can concentrate on these kinds of things. Thanks for the reminder!

Victoria

Archived