What Wheel[s] Do You Have?

xantha

Those of you with wheels, what wheel do you have?

Just curious here. I'm planning to try out a few at MD S+W, though I think it's going to be so insane up there that I may not get to it. Unfortunately the wheel spinning class at my local fiber workshop keeps being scheduled while I am out of town, so I haven't been able to try the wheels they have (they also don't have the Louets I'm looking at or the Kromskis, so I'm not sure I'd get a lot out of the class)! :(

I am trying to move beyond the spindle ... ;)

well, afraid i won't be of much helps, as i have a Louet, S15 - "Hilary" is her name.

it's very easy to work on, light and in my case, portable. because i have the suburban, i can just put it in the back when i want to take it to my mom's or whatever. it's a single treadle. hmmmm what else can i say about it? i love her :D

well, afraid i won't be of much helps, as i have a Louet, S15 - "Hilary" is her name.

The S15 was my first option, actually. The only thing pushing me away from Louet towards Kromski is the ratios -- 10.5:1 ??! That is going to require some mad treadling in order to spin singles thin enough to make 3-ply sock yarn! :)

So: what weight do you spin most frequently on it? Have you spun anything lace/fingering weight?

I'm still considering an Louet S10 DT, Louet S75 (anniversary ed if I can find it), or a Kromski Minstrel.

The Minstrel is ahead right now -- cheaper than the S10DT and S75 and has a 16:1 ratio. But it's going to require a lot more upkeep and I have loved the Louets from the beginning.

Hohum!

I have an Ashford traditional....I can get an even worsted weight out of that and it was nice for my first wheel and for traditional type demos.

I absolutely LOVE my Asford Joy. It's portable enough to take camping, sit out all summer long wtih the kids and spin, and well...it's just a great wheel for me. I can spin lace weight without a lace flyer as well as bulky to worsted weights. The only *down* side I have with my wheel is that it tends to back pedal just a bit if I don't *lock* the fiber down (just by twisting it around one of the knobs or something like that) and what I have spun will unspin a little bit.

I have an old Ashford Traditional that I bought used.

I've been struggling with it a bit, I'm not sure if it's the wheel or if it's my still being a beginner. It's a single treddle and seems to have quite a "dead" spot when the rod gets near the top. It also is very quick to reverse directions when it gets to that spot. If I treddle faster to keep momentum going, my yarn gets really over twisted.

One of the friends I'm going to MD S&W is going to bring her wheel (Lendrum) She's going to try mine and I'm going to try hers to see if it's me or the wheel :think To be fair, it could be me, but I might be better off with a double treddle.

If I have better luck on her wheel, I'm going to see if I can find something reasonable at the festival.

The Ashford Joy looks so cute, so does the Majacraft Little Gem.

Holly

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did it!!!

I got a Lendrum Double Treadle while at the show. Oh my gosh I just luuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv her already!!!!! I tried my friend's single treadle Lendrum and then tried a double treadle at the show. I have found I am definitely a DT type of gal!!! :cheer

I'm glad I got to see all the different wheels in person at the show. It made me feel better about making a purchase. The Lendrum is space-efficient yet big enough to work on comfortably. It's a pretty wheel, in a minimalist kind of way :D If you are thinking about getting a wheel, give this one a look-see. It's reasonably priced, nice solid construction but only 14 lbs and it took less than 5 minutes to set up out of the box.

One thing that concerned me about buying a Joy or Kiwi was that the orifice was so low and such a small wheel looked like it would be akward for me to work on.

Holly

Archived