Subsitute for Belastraw

I just grabbed my project in WW yarn (Bernat super saver I think) and with a 3,25mm hook, I could get 5 sc to the inch so I would say that a WW yarn should be good. I'm not sure about that steel hook size, I was only trying for gauge. (I crochet loosely generally)

There are several vintage patterns I would like to crochet but they call for 'Belastraw' and it's not produced any longer. Does anyone know of a subsitute for Belastraw?

I would like to make this purse pattern:

The purse looks like it needs to be made from a stiff yarn, doesnt it? (looks that way to me at least) What about hemp or maybe even plastic cording???

The purse looks like it needs to be made from a stiff yarn, doesnt it? (looks that way to me at least) What about hemp or maybe even plastic cording???

I am looking at a skein of Belastraw as I type. I can't even say how old it is - I won a number of skeins on :ebay. But it's not stiff at all. According to the label, it's made of 100% Rayon and is 5 ply. Hope this helps.

I am looking at a skein of Belastraw as I type. I can't even say how old it is - I won a number of skeins on :ebay. But it's not stiff at all. According to the label, it's made of 100% Rayon and is 5 ply. Hope this helps.

Ok, I dont know what ply this yarn is, but they have pretty colors, how about this.... http://www.theyarnco.com/brand_display/325 (I just saw the price...yikes!)

Thanks to each of you for your replies; they have all been very helpful. Yes, I do think it should be a stiff yarn and I had thought of hemp (Wally World sells hemp over near what's left of their beads). But thing is I wanted to use two colors like in the pattern; suppose I could try dying the hemp.

I'm also thinking of doing on is Aunt Lydia's denim just to see how it turns out.

I think I'll poke aroun eBay and see if I can find some Belastraw.

Thanks again to all of you for your post.

Archived