Ideas on how to hang a piece like a tapestry?

Ladycrochat

OK, So after my summer vacation and a break from working on this piece, I am now thinking of hanging it tapestry style.....any ideas on how to do this? Have any of you hung your free form pieces?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DSCN2530.jpg

My mom has a rug hanging on her living room wall. She had a 1x4 cut to the width of the rug and painted it to match the wall. She then stapled the rug to the board and hung the board on the wall. It's almost invisible. I'm not sure what I'd do with something that doesn't have a streight top edge and was soft and will probably sucumb to gravity.

I like rose red's idea of chained loops and a dowel though.

I would use a wooden dowel, and attach it with loops from the back.

To manage the uneven edges, I'd put popsicle sticks or tongue depressors onto a square-edged dowel with tacks or brads at angles where they would support the edge pieces. You could then attach the edge pieces with loops.

I'd use fishing line to secure the piece to the support. It won't clash with anything if it should show through the front, so you should be able to essentially do a whipstitch to secure it with no gaps.

Let us know what you finally decide. I'm going to be working on a wall-hanging soon, and I'm sure I'll be right back here checking to see what worked best.

BTW your piece really ROCKS!:hook

Wow, what a pretty piece! I like everyones ideas. I thought of one other, hard to tell size of the piece, but you could sew or crochet a few wide loops and attach to the back. maybe 3 to 5 loops about 3 inches wide and put a dowel or small curtain rod through. then crochet a cord or use one of those spool knitters to make a cord and tie on the ends of the dowel or curtain rod for a hanging loop.

Angie

I haven't hung a piece that way, but I can see why you would want to :-) It's very cool looking. I would suggest maybe getting a piece of fabric and basting it to the back to keep the piece from stretching out on the wall (around the edges and right by the hanger, I would think). You could sew a pocket for a dowel rod or other hanger before basting it on, to help with hanging.

WOW!:clap That is fabulous. Really cool. I think it is an awesome idea to hang it, it would look amazing.

I haven't tried this with any of my crochet projects (yet), but I used to do a lot of sewing and tapestry work, which I have hung.

My only advice would be about the long term wear of hanging it. If it isn't supported correctly it will sag and droop with time.

I like Addey's idea, and have used this with some of my needlework. You can even have the board cut to match the uneven edge if you're worried that it will look odd. Then use a hook or picture hanger to hang it.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice......you have pointed out some problems that did not even dawn on me before, and for that I am very grateful! I will try experimenting with these ideas, and then I will let you know what I have eventually done....it is about 28 inches "square":heehee And I will most likely hang it from one of the more even sides. Surpriseingly, it is not very heavy (afterall, a very small baby blanket of say 24 inches by 24 inches wouldn't be)......so, I am just trying to think what would be the best way to display it, and hanging it tapestry style seems to be the best way.....I will post pictures when it is up on my wall!

Try crocheting wide loops and attached them to the back of your peice and you can run a dowl or pole through the loops and hang it that way, or you can use a curtain rod and hang it like a curtain. Just make sure the ends are attached to the wall real good cause the weight of the peice make might make it come down. ;) julie

Archived