Best needle size for learning?

boo1

I used to know how to do some basic knitting a few years ago. Can't remember any of it now!

I don't want to knit with a baseball bat-what would be a good starting size. (If it helps, I can't stand to crochet with anything larger than a K)

Thanks,

Laura:knit

I had the best experience with size 9 bamboo needles when I was learning to knit. I imagine size 8 would work very well, too. I initially tried size 6 aluminum needles, and it was awkward and discouraging for me. Yarn splitting and stitches slipping all over the place :eek...I almost gave up altogether! Once I switched to larger needles made of bamboo, things improved a lot. The bamboo kept the yarn from sliding off too much, which helped a lot with control while learning the rhythm and hand motions of knitting.

The owner just told me to come by any time and she'd help me. Right now, their formal classes are early afternoon (sorry, gotta work).

Maybe she can help me get started.

Laura

:cheer When you are learning to knit, the very best needles to use are circulars.

If you have never used straight needles, you will not have become used to them so using the circulars will be a doddle.

You still turn and work the other way at the ends of rows, you just dont have great big heavy needles hanging on your hands.

I would suggest to start on about 4mm to 4.5mm with an 8ply (DK) yarn in a light colour.

Easier to see and to handle.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I 'second' using a light color!!! And for certain, use non fuzzy yarn. You will be able to see the stitches so much better, it really makes a BIG difference. As far as needles? I also learned faster on circ's.....but that is because everytime I would put my work down, it would slip off the straights......making me so very frustrated. I have been at it for almost a year now, and have no trouble with either type. I have found that I rather enjoy using size 4, 5, 7, 9,......But when you hop up to 10.5 and up....I end up with 'crampy' hands. Probably all due to my fault I am positive ....I am thinking I hold the bigger needles much tighter. Who knows. :P

They were officially closed but there was a woman there who showed me how to cast on, so I can now do the basic knit and purl stitch.

I definitely prefer circular to straight. :)

To help with learning to knit, I can't stress how helpful Knitting For Dummies has been for me. I was getting so stressed out by learning to knit because everything seemed so jumbled. With this book though, I am now attempting the toggle jacket project in the book. Who knows? By Christmas I might be able to knit socks.

I know, I sound like one of those informercials but it's true. I found a beautiful varigated yarn in white, light brown and light gray that is so soft to the touch that I can't wait to get it finished. Most of my crocheting is on hold now because of this.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

• 2 weeks later...

Yay. Practice practice practice. P.S. I think no. 6 needles (yea tho, they tend to be long) are good with a worsted weight. As I wrote elsewhere, I like to start with garter stitch (all knit stitches) and go from there. You don't get discouraged with the unneven tension of k a row, p a row. Good luck with your learning, and don't give up.

Archived