I need some advice...

eebrs

My dad wants to offer a little crocheted alien with each of the books that he sells (a sci fi book). So I came up with this little guy.

th_DSCF5427.jpg

Since he's my dad I'm only charging $2-3 for each one. It's my own pattern so copyright is not an issue.

My problem is that he shared his idea with another science fiction author who thought it was a great idea. Now the other author is interested in a crocheted moon. I'm getting more details from him about size, and shape, etc, but so far I get the impression that it's a small stuffed moon that he wants. It would probably take 2 hours or less to make.

I have no idea what to charge for it. I'm not even sure I want to do it. If I can do a simple pattern it might be worth it, but I don't want something time consuming.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

***He just wrote back and said "I think that I would prefer a moon or moon-themed bookmark. An alien within my book figures out a way to turn his entire moon into a time travel device via a worm hole."

So what should I charge for a simple bookmark?

How about a book mark? A cresent moon and 3-4 stars. The moon at the top, a chain then a star (ch, star, ch star etc.)? A gold sparkle thread would be cool.

Ellie 13

P.S. the alien is sooo cute!

Thanks. I was thinking of a bookmark too. I've been working on a crescent shape in thread. It's surprisingly hard to keep it from looking like a banana.

Does it have to be crocheted? Making a moon out of fabric and a sewing machine would take 10-15 minutes, save you tons of time and effort, and you could still charge a few dollars. Even if you don't know how to sew (like me :) ) sewing machines are really cheap these days to get a basic one, and it's usually pretty easy to find someone to show you the basics.

Does it have to be crocheted? Making a moon out of fabric and a sewing machine would take 10-15 minutes, save you tons of time and effort, and you could still charge a few dollars. Even if you don't know how to sew (like me :) ) sewing machines are really cheap these days to get a basic one, and it's usually pretty easy to find someone to show you the basics.

I just barely updated the original post. He's now looking for a bookmark. He was really vague about it though (as you can read above). With a small book mark, I don't know if sewing would save that much time. I do like the idea though.

Depending on how big you make the bookmark and what details are on it ~ make a regular bookmark with a moon built in instead of one shaped like a moon. And I would ask $3-4 at least. Good luck. :hug

How about a book thong? ch and sc back however long you want it and then put a metal moon thingy from the beading dept on the end?$2 for 5 min isn't bad.

This is a really easy project. There is a pattern on CrochetMe if you really need one, but its simple enough that you don't really need one. A moon bead on one end, a star and maybe a tassel on the bottom.

Cost would all depend on how much the beads end up costing you, since thread isn't all that expensive and you can make several from one ball.

Good luck :cheer

This is a really easy project. There is a pattern on CrochetMe if you really need one, but its simple enough that you don't really need one. A moon bead on one end, a star and maybe a tassel on the bottom.

Cost would all depend on how much the beads end up costing you, since thread isn't all that expensive and you can make several from one ball.

Good luck :cheer

I loved this suggestion (thanks RoseRed and nela42575). I emailed the author to see what he thinks. I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks everyone!

Archived