Anyone know anything about "Join-its" ?

Some of you know I'm destashing. I just came across an old pamphlet dated 1948-1949 called "Crochet Instructions for 'Join-It' hemstitched motifs."

Join-its seems to be pre manufactured pieces of cloth in various shapes and sizes that you crochet and join to make tablecloths, bedspreads etc.

The cover also says

Wonder Art Trade Mark

Manufactured by Fixler Bros

3900 N. Claremont Ave.

Chicago 18, ILL

It's a great idea. Some designs of the join-its:

champagne glass

magnolia flower

four leaf clover

peach blossom

flame

applique basket that is whipstitched on top of a filet mesh you create.

What a great idea these seem to be.

I can't find any info on the internet so I thought I'd ask if anyone had ever seen an object made of these? Or is there a place to buy these today?

I also googled Fixler Bros Chicago and found a couple eBay items that people were selling, including other booklets. None of the buyers state that you have to purchase the join-it motifs.

Some of you know I'm destashing. I just came across an old pamphlet dated 1948-1949 called "Crochet Instructions for 'Join-It' hemstitched motifs."

Join-its seems to be pre manufactured pieces of cloth in various shapes and sizes that you crochet and join to make tablecloths, bedspreads etc.

The cover also says

Wonder Art Trade Mark

Manufactured by Fixler Bros

3900 N. Claremont Ave.

Chicago 18, ILL

It's a great idea. Some designs of the join-its:

champagne glass

magnolia flower

four leaf clover

peach blossom

flame

applique basket that is whipstitched on top of a filet mesh you create.

What a great idea these seem to be.

I can't find any info on the internet so I thought I'd ask if anyone had ever seen an object made of these? Or is there a place to buy these today?

I also googled Fixler Bros Chicago and found a couple eBay items that people were selling, including other booklets. None of the buyers state that you have to purchase the join-it motifs.

I have quite a few of these in my crochet memorabilia. In various shapes. They truly are a nice idea. I have also seen a few very nice pieces done with them in the years I have haunted the antique malls. Right now mine are all in boxes or I would tell you which ones I have.

I have been slowly collecting enough of one design to actually make something with. But don't find them all that often. But when I have enough I intend to make a nice runner. I have directions for several of the different shapes and the various way you can use them.

In my "Make It Yourself..." books there are a few examples of taking fabric squares of about 4" square and you work a hem stitch around them. Then, by hand, you work a blanket stitch, then use the blanket stitch edge to attach a crochet trim. You can either crochet them together or sew the squares (after the crochet trim is added) together to make quilts, blankets, pillows, tablecloths, etc. There's a very pretty one done in red and white and has filet crochet inserts in between the squares. I've been wanting to do this for a little while now. thanks for bringing it up! :)

I know a lot about them! I even have quite a few of them in my collection,

all unworked, and a lot of the instruction books.

A few years back, when I still owned ASN Publishing, we tried to find a manufacturer who could make them for us to sell, as the patent on them had run out years ago. We tried in all countries

that do this kind of thing, but the cost would have made the prohibitive even in Asia.

Too bad, it's a great idea. DMC in France still makes many larger shapes like this with the holes, but they are not sold in this country. Even DMC could not get a price for us that would work. They have the large pieces in circles, squares, rectangles, stars, hearts, lots of shapes.

Jean Leinhauser

• 2 weeks later...
I know a lot about them! I even have quite a few of them in my collection,

all unworked, and a lot of the instruction books.

A few years back, when I still owned ASN Publishing, we tried to find a manufacturer who could make them for us to sell, as the patent on them had run out years ago. We tried in all countries

that do this kind of thing, but the cost would have made the prohibitive even in Asia.

Too bad, it's a great idea. DMC in France still makes many larger shapes like this with the holes, but they are not sold in this country. Even DMC could not get a price for us that would work. They have the large pieces in circles, squares, rectangles, stars, hearts, lots of shapes.

Jean Leinhauser

How interesting! Hmm now I feel the urge to really get on the lookout for them.

Archived