Curling edges?

I've noticed that sometimes, especially after washing something, the edges will curl. This mostly seems to happen with star-ghans. The last two I made both curled on the edges after I washed them. And now I'm making a round ripple and haven't even washed it yet and the edges seem to be curling on that as well.

I was thinking maybe my stitches were too tight, so I've loosened up on them a little, but it's still happening. I have the right amount of stitches as far as the patterns are telling me.

Is this something that just happens? Could it possibly be the kind of yarn I've been using (both the star-ghans were done with old Sayelle yarn from the 70's or 80's, as is this round ripple)? Or is it my tension? :think

I've found that when you have a pattern where you go round and round, edges tend to curl. My current theory is that all of your stitches are 'pulling' in the same direction. In back and forth patterns the stitches pull in opposite directions. In most cases the easiest way to get it to stop (or do it less....) is to do a round of rsc when you're done. This 'pulls' everything in the opposite direction and tries to even out the tension. I had much more issue with this with my second than my first. I don't know why. :shrug

Lust my $0.02... take it or leave it. :D

For me, I always start a pattern with looser tension and then it gets tighter and tighter, despite my always trying to keep even. But, for you, it could be tension or it could just be the pattern. Anyway, a little curling never hurt too much. ;)

Sometimes a light blocking after a wash can help with curling. Just do a light blocking though...no need for starch or anything. Lay the item flat and in the desired shape you want it. Sometimes its even helpful to place a few pins at certain points to get it to stay where you want it.

Archived