Knitting in the Round Help

SJ2B

Hi girls, I've recently tried a pattern (free pattern I'll find later for advice) but can't quite work out how to do the continuous knitting in a round. Also the pattern seems wrong - can anyone advise me ?

I think we need to see the pattern or more specifically what the problem is. If you've attached the beginning to the end without twisting the beginning row, going in rounds should be easy. But as I said, I'm not sure what your problem really is. :)

Thanks Karin, I'll go look at the video.

Cuddlefish: LOL I havn't even managed to do a pattern using the continuous method yet. I tried to convert the pattern to a 2 needle pattern and it didn't work and I just couldn't work it out how to do the round bit. I love knitting with circular needles but have never been able to suss it out for anything other than straight row knitting.

Hopefully that will change.

I've deleted the pattern from my computer but will try to find it again. I know its a freebie but just can't remember which one. I'll go look at the pattern.

What a plonker I am !!!!

Its this pattern and its on double pointed needles not circular - what on earth was I doing. Still the kids were off school at the time LOL

http://www.knittingdaily.com/posts/babies_children/Wisdom_of_Mistakes68-1.html

I'll go back and look at the video for dp needles as I've not done that either yet. I'm waiting for some bamboo dpn's to arrive soon.

Thanks for the link its brilliant, I really did find out how to do the circular method and even went and looked at the magic needle method.

I can't wait to have a go.

One thing, if anyone has done the vine leaf beanie could you let me know know if the pattern is correct or if it was because I tried to convert it to the 2 needle method that it didn't work out right ?

Good that you figured it out. I haven't read the pattern, but I don't think it can be done on two needles, you'll need at least four to make it work. I often make round patterns with four needles, where the item is sitting on three needles, and I'm knitting with the fourth. But that's the minimum, and if you're having problems with the pattern, my advice is to not try to convert it, but do exactly as it says. :)

LOL I know - I just thought I'd try to convert it as I couldn't wait for my dpn's to arrive and couldn't work it out for the cirular ones. I won't do that again.

Do you know of any free circular patterns that I could try out ? Its always the way that when you don't want to find them you can and when you're ready to give it a go you can't find any !

I've done the freebie search but can't find anything only instructions. I've heard there's lots of beanie patterns.

Circular needles or DPNs will give you the same results. The caveat with circs, however, is that they must be exactly the right length for round knitting to work. If the cable is too long, you won't be able to make your knitting "meet" and become round. (It is better if the cable is too short rather than too long).

DPNs are my choice - you usually use four needles, but sometimes five.

Either way, knitting in the round is just like it sounds, you go round and round. And with either method the trick to remember on your first round is after you cast on, you begin knitting with the needle with the working yarn in your LEFT hand and join it to the first stitch on the needle in your RIGHT HAND. That joins the round and you just keep going around from there - be sure to mark the beginning of your round with a stitch marker.

Finally, keep in mind that in the round you are always knitting on the right side. If you are doing stockinette stitch, for example, you knit every round (no purls).

What kind of project do you want to make? A hat might be a good start, and later try gloves or socks. Good luck!

Any pattern that calls for dpns can be done on circulars. And they don't have to be the "correct" length. You can use 2 circs to accomplish it (or magic loop). I personally prefer to use 2 circulars instead of dpns. I'm making my new grandson a tiny beanie that way right now. I just use one marker to separate where needle one would end and needle 2 would begin, and so on. It's not as fiddly as dpns and you don't have to worry about stitches slipping off the needles like you do with dpns.

Brilliant girls you've all been a great help. I will go and look at the double circular method as that probably seems the best option for me at the moment as I've not got my dpn's yet. They're coming in from China, some lovely bamboo ones !

Sharon x

I prefer to knit on circulars. I agre with the others, anything that can be done on dpns can be done on circulars. I have finished at least two sweaters I converted as I went from front/back/sleeve/sleeve/ sew it all together to in the round. I liked the results. One had long sleeves (I will do the sleeves in the round the next time around as well), the other had cap sleeves.

I want to do the long sleeved one (tri cabled pullover, a coats and clark freebie) in different colors of RH super saver and RH symphony (mohair like), but cannot find the shades of these two yarns that go together as well as the Farmland super saver and Persimmon in Symphony did.

Of course you can use circulars for anything, but in this case, you need to make the center of the hat big enough for a circular, before you can switch. Otherwise you'll have a very similar problem to the one you started out with. I think that's why it tells you to use dpn's from the beginning. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for circular patterns? Lion Brand's site has alot. I made my kids some hats last year for my 1st circular project, they turned out so good my Mom asked for one!

And I think you will love the bamboo DPN's. They have just the right amount of "sticky" to them, but still smooth as silk, and your project isn't slipping all over like on the aluminum.

Archived