Lacy Jacket CAL

donnalynn2

So I just opened my e-mail and found an e-mail from Caron featuring some new patterns including THIS ONE! Wowzers! I am going to make this baby and hope it doesn't have as many errors as the last jacket I made from Caron! :devil

Anyone wanna do this with me????

I'm off to find some yarn in my stash for this!!! :hook

I'm still checking out the pattern, but I might just be up for it. I just finished my round ripple baby blanket (not posted yet) and I don't have anything else planned, except finishing up some WIP, but where is the fun in that! I already have the yarn. I have 4 skeins of Simply Soft in Autumn Red that I have had forever and it would be nice to use it up.

I have never used the ch/sc method before so I have to work on that first and make sure I'm doing it right, other then that nothing should stop me.

Donna, this is so funny... You were the first person I thought of when I saw that pattern. Your Circle jacket was wonderful.

I've been wondering if I could shrink this for a little one. whadayah think?

Donna, this is so funny... You were the first person I thought of when I saw that pattern. Your Circle jacket was wonderful.

I've been wondering if I could shrink this for a little one. whadayah think?

That's so funny!!! Well I only hope this pattern doesn't have all the errors that the circle jacket had! I remember what a pain that was to figure out!

Well believe it or not, I don't have enough of one color of the same kind of yarn in my stash to do this project so I'll have to go and buy some more! :devil I really do have a lot of yarn but it's like 1 skein of this and 1 skein of that. I am seriously thinking about making this for a co-worker of mine who let me borrow her TENS unit. Without it I don't know what I'd be doing right now (probably addicted to pain pills) and she really loved my circle jacket. I'm going to call another co-worker of mine so we can figure out what size she is and if it turns out nicely I'll give it to her. Considering that I'm still out of work, I should be able to knock it out fairly quickly!

I have a Dr's appt anyway today so why not take a little detour to the craft store and go yarn shopping! :yarn It's not too often nowadays that I get the car and can go where I want without my hubby! I have a nice crisp $20 bill that my hubby said I could spend on whatever I want so yarn sounds like a good thing to me!

Depending on what colors Jo-Ann's has I was thinking of maybe a beige but I'm not sure. My co-worker isn't a flashy kind of gal and likes earth tones. Heck, maybe I won't even use SS, maybe I'll find something else I like instead!

Am I indecisive this morning or what? LOL

Can't wait to see how these come along and how we all do!!!!

I need help already! I have tried to do the ch/sc, but not really happy with the way it looks. It is tight on the ch part and loose on the sc part. Is that how it is suppose to be or am I doing it wrong? Can I just do reg chs and scs??

I need help already! I have tried to do the ch/sc, but not really happy with the way it looks. It is tight on the ch part and loose on the sc part. Is that how it is suppose to be or am I doing it wrong? Can I just do reg chs and scs??

This site is where I learned the technique. it doesn't have pictures so that is a drawback but it did make sense to me. I found that it is something - like reverse SC that you just have to practice to perfect.

http://members.aol.com/Sbaycgoa/foundatn.htm

Oh yeah... and I think you can do this just as well with a regular chain and then a sc row.

I printed this off yesterday too! I have 4 skeins of chocolate simply soft and I think that it wants to be this jacket. I have to finish my half moon shawl which I'm doing in paprika jiffy and then I will be starting this one.

Melissa

I printed this off yesterday too! I have 4 skeins of chocolate simply soft and I think that it wants to be this jacket. I have to finish my half moon shawl which I'm doing in paprika jiffy and then I will be starting this one.

Melissa

Oooooo munchies. sounds like a delicious couple of wearables! :wlol

This site is where I learned the technique. it doesn't have pictures so that is a drawback but it did make sense to me. I found that it is something - like reverse SC that you just have to practice to perfect.

http://members.aol.com/Sbaycgoa/foundatn.htm

Oh yeah... and I think you can do this just as well with a regular chain and then a sc row.

Thanks for the link darski! I will keep plugging away, but for this one I think I will stick with the good ol' chain row, sc row. (unless there some special reason for doing it the other way.)

:hook

Thanks for the link darski! I will keep plugging away, but for this one I think I will stick with the good ol' chain row, sc row. (unless there some special reason for doing it the other way.)

:hook

If I'm not mistaken, patterns call for this stitch because it makes the foundation row more "stretchy" but I've found it isn't always necessary. I agree that this stitch is a "practice makes perfect" one.

I have decided to do the one for my co-worker in Caron One Pounders in Cream and I got Hobby Lobby's "I love this yarn" in Cranberry for mine! I need to finish a baby blanket I'm working on before starting this but I should be done with the blanket by this weekend!

Welcome aboard everyone! I can't wait to see how everyone's turns out!!!!!!!!

Well, seeings as it is the neck part that we are starting with I thought it would be best to try to do the ch/sc method. So tonight, while at soccer with the kids, I took my yarn and the new issue of Crocht Today, which has a tutorial on it with some great photo's that helped. Now, I have it down and it looks great!! I have finished row 6 with no problems and I can't wait to pick it up again tomorrow.

Thanks darski and donnalynn2 for your help! I can't wait to see everyones!

Hazlecreek - so glad that worked out for you!!!

I just finished the baby blanket I was working on this morning so I have begun my lacy jacket!

A few things I noticed to begin with:

It never tells you which hook to start with. It says to use the larger hook for the swatch but never actually tells you to use the I hook for the body of the item. Just pointing that out in case you were confused like me! :blush

Also, IMO it is imperitive that you use stitch markers or some way to mark certain stitches as directed as it can get a little confusing otherwise.

I also noticed so far this is really reminding me of the Circle Jacket pattern. Am I the only one? :devil

On a side note, the "I love this yarn" from Hobby Lobby was named that for a reason! I LOVE THIS YARN!!!!! It's not only about the same size as red heart SS but it's soft like Simply Soft! IMO SS is a bit thinner than RH SS so I am so excited about this! It does seem to be a "warmer" yarn but we'll see when the item is finished!

Well I'm off to work on some more rows! :hook

It never tells you which hook to start with. It says to use the larger hook for the swatch but never actually tells you to use the I hook for the body of the item. Just pointing that out in case you were confused like me!

In the materials list it says that the G hook is for the bottons only. I had to go and look a couple of times before I spotted that one. :think

Also, it gets confusing the way they have this set up in size sections. I'm working on the medium sized one and it has me going over to "S row 3" to work "M row 6", but I keep missing that "S" and start looking back at "M row 3".:thair (it even confussing to write it)

I didn't do the Circle Jacket was it written the same way??

BTW Karen, I think any soft WW would work. Next time I'm at Hobby Lobby I'm going to have to look for "I love this Yarn" Donna was talking about.

Also, if you are working size medium the pattern go's from row 3 to row 5. I think they miss typed it, I hope they just didn't leave off a whole row! So you might want to re-write out your numbers so you don't end up frogging your work, Like I JUST did, because you think you just worked the wrong row.

Also, if you are working size medium the pattern go's from row 3 to row 5. I think they miss typed it, I hope they just didn't leave off a whole row! So you might want to re-write out your numbers so you don't end up frogging your work, Like I JUST did, because you think you just worked the wrong row.

I hate to tell you this, but you missed a row! They actually forgot to put that row in there! I must have looked that over for a good 10 mins before realizing we found our first major typo! Basically, the row that you were supposed to do there was just a "repeat" row. No inc's or anything and later in the pattern it tells you which row to do so yes, there really is a row 4, they just forgot to add it! UGH!

Well, as of right now I have finished the first part and have gotten about 3 rows into the body of the item. I am making the 2XL size and am having a hard time getting the stitch counts right and after several rows frogged I just added stitches to get the right count. So far I'm not happy with the way this is written!

I agree that this whole "repeat row 4 of S, repeat row 8 of M" is very confusing and I ended up just taking a red marker and pointing out which rows I did next as it was was too hard to keep up with!

Oh well, here I go, off to see how many more rows I can go before frogging again! :bang

Man, I haven't even begun the jacket yet and it's already stressing me out to hear about the problems:eek Why can't they get this right???? I think I'm going to wait until Donnalyn figures out the pattern then I'll give it a try :)

Man, I haven't even begun the jacket yet and it's already stressing me out to hear about the problems:eek Why can't they get this right???? I think I'm going to wait until Donnalyn figures out the pattern then I'll give it a try :)

Gee, thanks! What fun is it to figure out the problems all by myself??? :think

Man, I haven't even begun the jacket yet and it's already stressing me out to hear about the problems:eek Why can't they get this right???? I think I'm going to wait until Donnalynn figures out the pattern then I'll give it a try :)

That is definitely the voice of experience. :wlol

I was just thinking that I should make a personal copy with the lines I actually need. for this. I am trying to small the see how small it is.

Gee, thanks! What fun is it to figure out the problems all by myself??? :think

Donnalynn, I really wasn't trying to be mean; please don't take offense when I was simply trusting your judgement about the errors. :) I haven't had a chance to start the jacket, so it's an advantage for the rest of us to know in advance what pitfalls await us. When I participated in the Caron Circle Jacket CAL last year, I posted how many typos, omitted instructions, etc and I was happy to do that. Here's the specific post http://knittingandcrochet.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html in case you don't remember. Again sorry if you took offense, I thought I was paying you a compliment for you crochet savvy.

Karen, no offense taken! I was honestly joking so please don't think I was upset with you!

Well, I am working on the trim right now and this is pretty much the same basic principle as the Circle Jacket (from what I can remember) but the trim is different.

So far those are the only errors I found so plug away!

I am not making sleeves on this first one as I live in Florida and will be able to wear it much more if I make it sleeveless! I am going to make a 2nd one after I finish mine for a co-worker of mine and I will probably make the sleeves on that one.

I'm making the 2XL and I must say that it fits me perfectly and I'm a 3XL so either my gauge is off or their numbers are. (Although I confess I've never been good at checking my gauge! LOL)

Hazlecreek - Actually, I don't think you need to frog. IMO I would think you'll just be one row short and personally I don't know if that's going to cause a major problem in the end. Now, I could be totally wrong here but if you have worked several rows, I think I would just add one more "standard no increasing row" before shaping the armholes and I think you'll be fine!

Unless I run into major problems I should have mine done tomorrow, by Sunday at the latest and then I can really get serious about gauge and stuff on the other one!

Archived