A Miracle Happened While Visiting My Sister...

I just got back from visiting my sister in California a few weeks ago and I just had to share this. A bit of background first. Our mother is highly artistically inclined and extremely good at what she does, no matter what it is. This has played havoc with me and my sisters to the point that we never think what we do is good enough, however, the difference between me and my sisters is that I never let what my mom does stop me from being crafty and clever in my own right, but it has stopped my sisters who for decades never felt truly creative. The sins of perfectionism.

For years my sisters more or less looked down on what I did...felt it was too amatuer and "homemade..." but over time I won them over...more or less. One sister just views the whole "working with one's hands in creative endeavors" as no big deal...and that's really okay...it's not personal to me anymore...it's enough that she now realises that I am who I am and she loves me.

But my other sister, the one I was visiting...omgoodness...while visiting and showing off projects I brought with me, she actually said she wanted to learn how to crochet. You could have knocked me over with a feather. And then I thought she was kidding. But she wasn't.

So when I was out shopping with my mom, I bought yarns, and hooks and books and surprised my sister and then we set about our first crochet lesson and by jove, I think she's got it!!!!!!

Of course she stressed about her stitches not being "perfect" but she kept at it. All I could teach her in the time allowed was the chain stitch and single crochet, but she worked feverishly on what basically turned into a scarf. After I left, she picked up the beginner's book and taught herself a couple of things on her own...I'm just stunned (but in a good way.)

What was really great was that my mom and my sister and I sat on the couch, all 3 of us crocheting away like mad while watching Talledega Nights and having a wonderful time. But do you think we got that memory snapshot captured on a digi cam??? Heck no...Oh well, at least it's in my memory banks in my head now. I'll live on that for years to come.

Just wanted to share.

Thanks Aelita...this sister has been very supportive overall...but back in the early 80's she wasn't...for her last birthday I crocheted her an elephant that was featured in one of the last Better Homes and Gardens crochet mags...when she got it, she sent me the best thank you email...she has it prominently displayed in her bedroom...it's one of her favorite "LeAnna" pieces she's ever received to date. Even her step daughter has been showing it off and also said when it first arrived, "Jeez Steppy (her nickname for my sister) you always get the cool things!!!!" I about died when I heard that because I'm always making and sending things to my niece...too funny.

Thanks again.

Awwwww...great story. Don't you just love teaching others our craft? I am also teaching my brothers girlfriend. Sh still does not get the "yarn" thing yet....but I told her to beware, because it will consume her and her apartment soon enough. :)

That's awesome. I have two sisters but neither of them have a desire to learn to crochet. (And, they both live 1300 miles away from me..) That's just great. :manyheart

Tina

Archived