Crochet & Flying, specifically British Airways

I gave a rough glance, but didn't see this topic anywhere, so I'm asking. Has anyone flown on British Airways and taken their crocheting? I'm leaving from the DC area, and I know on american flights that knitting needles are prohibited but the list says nothing about crochet hooks. This is going to be close to a 12 hour flight, I really want something to do with my hands! I'm hoping at least plastic hooks are allowed, I know better than to bring sissors. The British Airways site is being cranky with me and not allowing me to see their travel restrictions, or I'd simply look there.

Help? (I'm flying on the 25th!)

I saw this link in the Crochet Me blog not too long ago: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12760507%255E1702,00.html

It's mostly about Australian airline restrictions but it mentions that on British flights starting April 25 passengers can have knitting needles. Doesn't mention crochet hooks but if knitting needles are ok then crochet is probably fine too...

From the article:

From April 25, travellers aboard British flights will be allowed to keep items such as small scissors and knitting needles in their carry-on luggage and use steel cutlery to eat in-flight meals.

But since you're flying the first day they're relaxing restrictions, you might want to make sure you only bring on hook(s) that you're willing to give up if they won't let you take it on the plane just in case.

Hope that's of some help!

hmm... that's helpful at least, the british airways site is now back up, but their site (so far as I can find yet) doesn't say anything about knitting/crochet implements. I think I'll just take my plastic hooks, they're cheap, so if I have to leave 'em benind, no big deal. Plus, plastic ones are more likely to get through inspections than aluminum or steel ones anyway, I think.

Thanks for the link!

ETA: Here is a link to the British Airways list of carry-on baggage restricted items (and carry-on allowance).

I just checked the FAA website and it says that both knitting needles and crochet hooks are allowed. I think as long as you are leaving from the US you can follow these guidelines. I'm excited because Monday I'll be flying for 14 hours!

:frog

I have flown about 10 times on international fights with my metal crochet hooks with no problems. This was on United but as somene else suggested, I only took on hooks that I was willing to part with *just in case* security got snippy.

Bec :hook

Its only a 7-8 hour flight from DC to the UK also to Germany..

Daughter went to England a year ago and it was just a little over 7 hours and her friend from Germany just flew in and back home and it was over 7 hours as well..

I asked my daughter and she said that there was ladies crocheting and knitting both ways on the flights that she was on..

To throw my input in, I've only been crocheting for a few months, so I've only flown three times internationally (plus three domestic flights in the US) with my crochet hooks, and did not have a problem bringing my crochet hook with me - even had comments from the flight stewardess and the Pilot who saw me stitching away on his break.

I am also an avid cross stitcher, and that has flown with me on over 20 flights with again not a problem, and the Stewardess commenting on my work. Instead of the forbidden scissors, I always fly with a pair of fingernail clippers to snip my work as I am going.

As for the airlines, its been United, Delta, American, Air France, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Swiss and SN Brussels. Also don't forget that it is the Airport security who decides what gets through and on to the flights, not necessarily the airlines!

Hope that this helps!

emeraldmoon: Sorry for any confusion, I said 12 hr flight because I'm going to Edinburgh and there's a layover in Heathrow - not enough to visit London at all really, but certainly enough for me to hope for crochet time! :hook

Thanks everybody for your fantastic input! I've decided I'm going to bring my crocheting and my set of plastic hooks. They're inexpensive, so if airport security doesn't like 'em I won't have too much problem giving them up. I am tempted to bring along the list of restricted items & *if* they give me (slight) problems, showing them that crochet hooks aren't on the list. If it seems like it'd just be a big hassle, I'd give 'em up.

Makes me think of the (supposedly true) story I read about the airport security guard who stopped the pilot of the plane and took away his penknife... "because he might use it to take control of the plane". :blush:laughroll

I just posted a note on another area in this site. I just recenlty flew from Fl -LA, on Song, I packed by crochet stuff, cause I was taking no chances, Understand it is up to the TSA (security people at your check points) and they just may take them, on the web site they do not mentioned crochet hooks, but they assume we women only KNIT, and they think a hook is a needle, take only one, and pack same size, so if they take it,then you will have one in your checked bag once you land. Just don't be shocked when they take it. Take a book, lol

I fly from MIA to Vegas and Atlanta frequently and the only problem I've had with my crocheting is with scissors (no matter how small), they always take them. Now I wear a pendant yarn cutter and security just thinks it's an odd pendant even tho it still goes thru xray. Of course I only take the hook I'll need for whatever project I'm working on and a skein or two of yarn. I get a lot of crocheting done on planes. :hook

• 4 weeks later...

I flew, I'm back. (Good honeymoon, BTW.) There was no problem getting out of the states and onto the plane in the first place with a set of G-K plastic hooks, two (steel) yarn needles, and a pair of small round-nosed sissors. I had one snag with the sissors when transferring planes between Heathrow & Edinburgh, but it was simply that they saw it on the x-ray and felt the need to question it. They pulled it(them?) out, looked at 'em & gave 'em back to me, all was well. In fact, while crocheting on the 7.5 hr flight to London, one of the Flight Attendants said it was good to see a crocheter on board! She's a knitter, and the day I flew out was the very day knitting needles were being allowed back on board British Airways flights. She didn't have her knitting with her but said the next time she worked, she sure would have it with her then! :hook

Coming back was even less of a problem, and there was a sign as we went through security (in Edinburgh) saying to tell the security attendant if you had anything questionably dangerous in your bag. As I had been questioned (but okayed) about the round nosed sissors ("child-proof" is another word for these, but they do cut) I told the person that was shoving the bags through the x-ray machine about the sissors, and no questions, no problems.

I got quite a bit done, but nothing finished quite yet. (I'm at the beginner/intermediate stage and still crochet fairly slowly) Once I'm done, I'll post about it!

Archived