Terry Kimbrough baby afghans

idagammy

Question

:think :think :think I have the book 'best of Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghans" & I love each of the designs. I was thinking how beautiful they would be as full sized afghans. Now in my mind, (which some days I think I've lost), if I double all the stitch counts I should get full sized afghans. Would this work? Or is my reasoning flawed? Has anyone tried this? :think :think :think

6 answers to this question

Um- not knowing exactly which one you're using...

I made up one of hers and I had to double it just to get a decent sized baby afghan.

Certainly doubling it in theory (and using a larger size yarn and hook) should give you a larger afghan but you may want to make a swatch first so you know where you're heading.

Manda

double the stich counts of what where? if you are thinking to just double the body so it's 2 babies side-by-side, that may work but you'll still have to adjust for the edging.

i would graph it out, figure out the multiple, and just increase the repeat to fit desired length. that's involved enough but then there's her EDGINGS. those look complicated and you'd have to do the same for the edging too, before you start the body, making sure your edging is going to have the appropriate count.

that's all a lot of effort. i would just try to find one of her non-baby afghan books instead:

Best of Terry Kimbrough Afghans

Item Number: 3209

Retail Price: $12.50

ISBN: 1574867091

68 pages

Leaflet

double the stich counts of what where? if you are thinking to just double the body so it's 2 babies side-by-side, that may work but you'll still have to adjust for the edging.

i would graph it out, figure out the multiple, and just increase the repeat to fit desired length. that's involved enough but then there's her EDGINGS. those look complicated and you'd have to do the same for the edging too, before you start the body, making sure your edging is going to have the appropriate count.

that's all a lot of effort. i would just try to find one of her non-baby afghan books instead:

Best of Terry Kimbrough Afghans

Item Number: 3209

Retail Price: $12.50

ISBN: 1574867091

68 pages

Leaflet

I agree just make one of her full sized ones; they are just as beautiful as the baby ones. The leaflet Best of Terry Kimbrough is a good place to look.

Two baby blankets probably won't be the size of a full sized afghan, it's still be too small.

I hate math. So what I've done in the past is just chain to the size I want and then do the pattern. Most times it works out, sometimes I do end up with a half pattern or whatever. Nobody ever knows but me. LOL

Just chain to a little more than the width you want, work the first pattern row, and then take out any unworked stitches from your foundation chain.

Archived