Best Yarn Crochet on a budget?

bxnyrgirl

I've used all different types of yarn for baby items. If it's Red Heart WW yarn then I like to wash it to soften it up. Simply Soft is a good choice.

I don't care for fingering weight as it seems to unravel as I crochet.

I do like Pound of Love, I liked the hooded afghan pattern on there so I bought the skein. Turned out real nice.

How to keep the cost of making an afghan down? - Link to some other ideas.

Using Regular WW for baby items? - link with more ideas on using WW for baby items or other yarn.

For adult clothes I've used RH WW on most of mine. I used a lot of the patterns for vests from the Groovy Crochet site (links found in Stargazers site). They worked up nicely. A few others I've made from pattern stitches. Sweaters are mostly RH WW. One in LIght & Lofty, worked up nicely and looks very warm (but done with a big hook and double crochet).

Good yarn for clothes - link with ideas on this too.

Debbi

I actually love Pound of Love for blankets and such for my daughter (and she loves them too since they just get softer and softer) they just don't have a huge color selection.

Caron Simply Soft is good, but if you want to use it for clothes it can get fuzzy and pill.

Red Heart SS definitely needs to be washed, but my grandmother likes it a lot for making childrens sweaters (she 'Knits for Kids' for Guideposts).

Also Lion Brand Wool-Ease is really soft and easy to work with ww yarn, that isn't very expensive (makes great socks too).

Also lily sugar'n'cream(by bernat) or peaches'n'cream(walmart sells this or you can get good deals from their website and is what Tampa Doll uses for her c'ville tote bags) is 100% cotton, but can be stiff if it is a tight stitch, though I've made some nice tank tops for my dd with it.

I'm also a big clearance yarn shopper at my local ac moore.

Look for clearance sales. Check out Hobby Lobby. They are always having some yarns on sale.

I like TLC essentials for afghans, adult and baby, and some baby garments. It's a soft yarn, and it goes on sale for $2.66 at HL. It's on sale this week 8/27 thru 9/1. And it comes in a lot of colors.

:manyheart

I use Caron's SS for baby blankets too. I also buy a lot of baby yarn and use that for adult clothing too. Baby yarn comes in such a variety of color that I enjoy using it to make tops. Also for tops, I just started buying Aunt Lydia thread, size 3. It's so inexpensive and using the size G hook, it actually works up pretty quick. Another alternative for inexpensive yarn is Peach n' Cream. It's a good inexpensive cotton yarn. (Both run for under $1.50/ball at Walmart).

Look for clearance sales.

:manyheart

I forgot about that. The Micheals by me has a corner with sale on yarn (and other craft stuff). I bought some thread last week in that aisle (none of the "yarn" seemed like something I wanted).

Also the dollar stores seem to have some yarns, some may not be great for some items. I found some and made a scarf out of it, instead of $10 I spent $2 and made a real nice scarf for a Christmas gift for my cousin.

Also check out coupons and sale ads. Everyone here talks about Joanns (there isn't one close to me and I never see the ads), their 40% off coupon. Micheals also has coupons and sales. Sometimes they're listed here on this board, but not always.

Debbi

• 1 month later...

Buy on sale. Check out online auctions, yard/garage sales, thriftstores and dollar type stores for deals. Don't wait until you have a project planned before you look for yarn to buy. Be a stash builder! :tup

Archived