How to design something.............

Yarnbender

Question

I am really passionate about my crochet but with a teenager and a toddler at home, my time is limited to when I can crunch in a few rows of this or that. I really want to learn how to design some things, maybe an afghan with a nice picture (original of course) or maybe just something I find a need for around the house. Is there any books or sites that help in how to get started doing your own designs? Or should I quit being apprenhensive and just design something?? LOL Any advice would be appreciated. Kinda nervous about it all.

7 answers to this question

Check out the Design Discussion board. Lots of help and ideas there to get you started.

I would just start. You will probably frog a lot, but that's okay, that's a prt of learning.

have fun with it.

Start with something you want to do, if you're not passionate enough about it, you won't do a good job ro care too much how it turns out. And if you haven't made it before (like a picture afghan) then do a few and see how you like them and how they're crocheted. If you've done a few, then you probably will be fine. Find a picture you want to do and design that.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your designs.

Debbi

Hi I am a nervous newbie so I have decided to start on this subject. I look forward to seeing the suggestions to get. I presently just follow patterns. I wish us both luck. I am still deciding on a avatar as you can see. Thanks.

Designing is taking a WHAT IF and doing something with it.

There are really no rules, Everyone does it a bit differently. I like to make a sketch of my What if and then try and make it happen. I frog probably more stitches than I ever leave in, but that is part of it.

Good luck

Thanks! Very good advice, I needed some motivation. I really love afghans so I may start there. I am also an artist so drawing it out would be helpful for me to get a good visual. You guys are great!! Thanks again.

I'm a newbie in the designing side of crochet so I would suggest that you find something you really want to do.

Here's how I got into designing. I wanted to do a Cradle Purse for my granddaughter but I couldn't find a small enough doll for the free patterns online so I took a look at the parts that are needed for a cradle purse, went out and bought the small dolls I could get my hands on and set out designing. I picked out the yarn I wanted to use, I used Ocean by RH, the idea of shells came to mind, I used basic stitches for my 1st pattern. I made hand written notes as I went along, I frogged several times and there was a lot of scratching out.

When I was done making the first one I then typed out my pattern and made another one, this way I could see if my pattern made any kind of sense.

One lesson I learned is take pics of your progress as you may want to add progress pics in the pattern.

When I felt I was ready I posted for testers.

I went into it with an open mind and wanting to have a lot of fun. These ladies have been so helpful and have made my first attempt at designing so easy and wonderful.

I had 2 designs that were tested at the same time. I would make a list of who you have testing for you and if you have more than 1 design note who is testing what, that is how I kept track of who was working on what.

The main thing is relax and have fun.

I would pick up a hook and see what you come up with. The neat thing about crochet is you can create just about any shape imaginable.

I try to plan out the shapes and sizes needed for a project. If I'm unsure, I'll search for similar patterns (ie. I want to make a donkey, so I'm looking at horse patterns).

By the way, if you have Excel it can be useful for graphing.

Archived