Granny square???

anthrilliel

Question

I didn't really know where to post this... so I am trying here :)

I just started making granny squares and I want to make an afghan using different size squares.... question is... How do I join them? I tried slip stitch while working on em but it doesn't look right. I don't want a "big" border in between... Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for all your help :manyheart

8 answers to this question

hmm :blush what is a whipstitch...????:think :think :think :think

i have been trying to find a video of whip stitch so that you can watch it online ....but i cannot find one

you put the wrong sides together and then you just stitch with a sewing needle throught the first stitch of both pieces that you are joining

and you just work over into the next stitch and then over and over going into the next stitch each time

did that make any sence at all?????

i am going to see if i can find any more info ??

http://reviews.ebay.com/FIVE-FUN-THINGS-TO-MAKE-WITH-GRANNY-SQUARES_W0QQugidZ10000000001760002

Check this link above for a picture of joining. Also check with

www.nextstitch.com

I do put a one row border around them. They are easier to join that way. Just make the border the same on each square so it matches up. You will have a line around but if you dont like that look you can make the yarn on that round the same as the squares so it will blend it. i personally like the contrast. A whip stitich is when you lay 2 squares on top of eachother right sides facing and only sew with yarn into the 2 opposing back loops. Then the front will have a ridge on it. At least that's one way. I sew the across ones first one square against the next and then when the next row is done too I sew both rows together. But, there are ,many other ways to do it too. Good luck!! :hook

whipstitch looks like a sewing the stripe up a candy cane....basically around and around with a slight vertical slant to the stitches....when you use the same colored yarn as the borders, it pretty much becomes invisible.

Archived