Help! Can you recommend a good crochet book for a newbie

eli1118

Crocheting in Plain English by Righetti. I ignored her insistance that I hold the hook a particular way since I'm comfortable with what I'm doing. :P Her explanations of different stitches was the best I've seen for a while. I found that one at the library a while back and am going to get my own copy now. :yes

hi there. In your particular case, focusing on knowing enough to make amigurumi, just find instructions online. the stitch is simple, no complex stitch patterns there, but there will be a lot of shaping, and potentially crocheting in the round. learn the sc (single crochet), how to increase (inc) and decrease (dec), and practice marking the beginning of your rows with those little stitch markers for crocheting in the round, and i think you'll be on your way.

steer clear of the neat-looking acrylic hooks that come in different colors as they act squeaky against acrylic yarn. stick to Bates aluminum or wood.

there is a cool looking book on amazon that features only amigurmi, but i'd stick to the multitude of free patterns you can find online first, to get started with minimal investment.

Teach Yourself Visually: Crocheting by Kim Werker (of CrochetMe) and Cecily Keim. It has the best pictures (actual photographs, not drawings) explaining the stitches that I've seen yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! :waving

I'm a self-taught lefty crocheter. I've been crocheting for about six months now.

As silly as it may sound, I'm twenty-four and one of the best books that I've found helped me to learn quickly and easily with little confusion was a tween-teen book called "Get Hooked! Simple Steps to Crochet Cool Stuff" by Kim Werker. (There's a follow up to this book which is called " Get Hooked Again! Crochet More Cool Stuff available on 10/02/07)

As others have said, I also love "Teach Yourself Visually -- Crocheting" by Kim Werker & Cecily Keim (Not to be confused with the Crochet Visually Quick Tips follow up that recently came out)

You can try Cozy Crochet Kit. It comes with 25 designs and companion/instruction booklet on the basic crochet stitches and the cool stuff is it comes with different sizes of hooks in plastic! So can try and experiment on which hook size you prefer. And some yarn for the first project, a bookmark that is. :D

Archived