need extra help..crocheting w/ beads

melindascrochetbits

Ok I am attempting to crochet with beads and I have no clue as to what I am doing. I can place the beads on the thread and work the first row/round with no problem but after that I get lost :think I have checked out this site

http://www.beadcrochet.com/index.htm and I am with her until she starts talking about front half and back half of a row. Can anyone help me understand what is done next after you do the first row or round, where do you insert the hook for the next stitch?

I am using size 10 thread and 30 grams glass e beads and a size 2 steel hook. I may not even have the right supplies but this is stuff I bought many moons ago and never used. I have no particular project in mind just something small and easy until I know what I am doing.

Thanks so much for any and all help.

The way I crochet with beads. ( and I have done lots. ) is to start my st, say a sc, bring the strung bead up behind the stitch and complete the stitch in the normal manner. On the next rnd you would just place your st in the top of that st in a normal manner. Remember your bead will always be on the back side of the work. So It becomes the decorative side when finished.

There is the method of sl st crocheting with beads which is also called bead crochet. It can be confusing when looking for instructions.

Here is my free ropes pattern which gives directions for both types.

http://www.crochetnbeads.com/files/Ropes.pdf

It also has directions for working straight across in sc bead crochet. Good luck beads can add so much to a piece.

thanks so much,

i was just about to start pulling my hair out. Do I have the right beads?

The E beads are a size 6 bead. a little large but doable with that size thread. I would recommend dropping your hook size down to a 4 or 5. a size 2 is a little large for size 10 thread. 7 is the average size hook for that size thread but since you are using the E beads I think you will be happier with the 4 or 5 hook. It will make it easier to work with a hook meant for that size thread. Optimally I like a size 8 or 9 bead with size 10 thread. But as I said your E beads will work. Again Good Luck will keep an eye out for your progress.....

thank u thank u thank u !:manyheart I finaaly got the hang of it :clap So what is the trick to getting the beads down the string when you need then besides stopping and pulling them to the stitch ? For my first project I am pleased with the way it looks ( after working up a nice headache trying to get the hang of it) but I will be using smaller beads next time. Thanks again soooo much.You are the absolute bestest:cheer

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
.... So what is the trick to getting the beads down the string when you need then besides stopping and pulling them to the stitch ? ....

I took a class at CGOA and my teacher there (Kathie Earle) showed me to hold my thread over my index finger a bit differently. My final loop of thread came under my index finger. She moved my final loop to come over my index finger. That way, I could keep about 10 beads on the thread between my finger and my hook. By rotating my left hand, I was able to have the beads move themselves up and down the thread. The final small movement of the bead I needed was made my flicking the fingernail of my right hand to the thread and moving the single bead. The other 9 beads stayed waiting for the flick.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Katchkan,

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the information you posted here regarding crocheting bead ropes -- your instructions are excellent! Although I have been crocheting for years, I never tried crocheting with beads until very recently. Thank you so much for sharing!

Best wishes,

EagleEye

Dear Katchkan,

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the information you posted here regarding crocheting bead ropes -- your instructions are excellent! Although I have been crocheting for years, I never tried crocheting with beads until very recently. Thank you so much for sharing!

Best wishes,

EagleEye

You are more than Welcome.

• 2 months later...

I've tried to bead crochet and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I've visited other sites,but I just can't understand what they are doing. Is there a site where there is step by step instructions plain enough to understand? I can't wait until i can get started.

patty

There are a couple good instructional vidoes on Youtube, believe it or not. Shows crocheting with beads from both the back and the front. I do a lot of crocheting with beads in blankets and while I prefer to work the rows from the back (I find it easier) there is a way to work them from the front too. I generally try to use an E bead on worsted weight or sport weight (yeah, it's a drag to string them all, rather labor intensive) for the flash it adds. I love the way it catches the light.

Good luck!

Colleen

Archived