Which is the right side?

tita

Question

I have yet another question! How do you tell which is the front, (correct) side of a piece and the back, (wrong) side of the piece? They both look the same to me. Is there some sort of "marking" or something that can help me distinguish between the two?:think

8 answers to this question

Does the pattern specify which side is the right side (RS)? Sometimes you just need to mark that side when they tell you with a stitch marker to keep it straight if both sides look the same.

Good luck!

Jackie

Many patterns will say the right side & you can mark that or remember row 1 or 2 is the right side. Also as mentioned, usually you can look at each side & one side "steps out at you" as looking better, & that is usually the right side.

Another hint that I use, if I haven't marked, is that usually the starting tail of yarn is on my left when the right side is facing me. That's because a lot of patterns claim the 1st row after the chain as the right side, making the start tail on my left.

I always use the back loops of my starting chain for my first row. Then when I lay the piece flat, the front side is when I can see the other two loops laying partially on the top...otherwise, I use the tail of my chain as an indicator - not counting the chain as a row, odd #'d rows are the right side, even #'d rows are the wrong side.

Many patterns will say the right side & you can mark that or remember row 1 or 2 is the right side. Also as mentioned, usually you can look at each side & one side "steps out at you" as looking better, & that is usually the right side.

Another hint that I use, if I haven't marked, is that usually the starting tail of yarn is on my left when the right side is facing me. That's because a lot of patterns claim the 1st row after the chain as the right side, making the start tail on my left.

Great! I love the tail method.

BUT...what about crocheting in the round? is the outside the correct side? I am crocheting the skirt portion of a child's dress and I am crocheting in the round, going from right to left with the right side facing me, and the top of the dress upside down. Did I crochet in the round correctly? Does the right side face me when doing so? Or should the wrong side face me when crocheting in the round?:think

Archived