Crochet bathroom rug question

I want to crochet a bathroom rug but I have a question first, Do they slip around alot?? Or is there something I can put on the back?? I have been wanting to make some bathroom rugs for a while now, but I wasn't sure if they would even stay in place..

My mom is 80 years old and I just remodeled her bathroom for her and she is having it in Lavender and White ,so I thought I would try to make some pretty crocheted things for her new bathroom in shades of purples. But I was wondering about the crocheted rugs....

Anyone that has made one or used one, I would appreciate your feedback! Also, If anyone has any links to pretty bathroom stuff please post them! Thanks! :)

I have had a round crocheted (acrylic worsted) rug in my bathroom for years & didn't have any slipping problems. I just finished making myself a new one in cotton worsted & it works fine too. If they do slip, I have found the best solution is to buy a roll of that rubbery mesh shelf "paper" to put under it. I can usually find it at Walmart or the Dollar store. I love making rugs & am working on one for my 1st grandbaby's nursery.

:)Alosha

I've not made a crocheted a rug before, but I want to say they have a rubber solution that you can buy to put on the bottom of latch hooked rugs, that might, maybe, can be used on the crocheted ones. It's an idea that might work/to keep in mind.

I wish you luck w/ the items for your mom :)

Sandy

I've made a few round ripple rugs and a few rectangle rugs in ww yarn, and they slip some on the tile floor. I bought some rug backing at WalMart, cut it to size, and no more slips. I've also used the shelf liner that is the bumpy mesh and it works great too.

Thanks everyone! I guess I will check for rug backing at Walmart then. Now I need to start looking for some patterns for cute crocheted bathroom stuff! ;)

Since your mum is a bit older, it's better to be safe than sorry.

The rubber backing is a good idea, or maybe you could try cutting down one of those rubber grippy things that are usually used under regular rugs.

/Rane

When my children were tiny tots and just starting to walk, I always put bandaids or cloth tape on the soles of their new shoes because the soles were very slippery. Therefore I think you could possibly use duck tape in a matching color, and apply it around the circumference of the underside of the rug. There might also be some special sprays suitable for this purpose.

Archived