How to EASILY make a 2" pom pom??

loopy1

Question

Here's what the instructions say:

"For pom-pom, wrap white (worsted weight) around 2 fingers 40 times, slide loops off fingers, tie separate strand of white tightly around center of all loops. Cut loops, trim to 2" ball."

Is there a better way to make the pom pom? Everybody's 2 fingers aren't the same size. Also, wrapping the yarn around 40 times didn't seem to be enough and then I misread it and thought the ball was supposed to be 1".:P

I found crazy stuff on the net for how to make pom poms. Cutting 2 cardboard circles, making doughnuts, cutting out keyholes. None of them said what size to cut the circles to get a certain size pom pom.

I've done this before, a long long time ago, and got a beautiful pom pom with baby yarn. This is with worsted weight.

Thanks for any help!

:manyheart:hug

5 answers to this question

I have always used the cutout cardboard circles. Make them a little larger than you want. You can always trim it down. The fullness of the pompom depends on how much yarn you wind around. I do have a pompom maker but have never taken the time to figure it out!!

Cut 2 circles, (heavy cardboard) slightly larger or about the same size as the finished pompom. Cut a hole in the center (like a donut) the hole should be big enough to stick your thumb through. (about) Wrap yarn around the "ring" until the hole is almost full, or the yarn ring looks good and puffy. CAREFULLY cut through the yarn between your two cardboard donuts. (you can make a small cut first (1/4 around) Thread a strand of same yarn between the donuts and tie a tight knot (dampening the yarn sometimes helps the knot stay put while tying). Cut the remaining yarns around the donut and gently slip them off. Fluff the yarns, and trim the tails.

It should come out smooth and round, but you can always trim it as you need. Btw, this is basically the same technique as with the pompom makers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, but for some reason, my head is just not letting it get through! duh:thinkduh:think

I'll try again tomorrow so you may hear from me again.

Finally, I just made one out of fingering yarn. For some reason, the worsted weight just didn't work out right for me.

Thanks, Ladies, for your help!

Archived