Need help with pattern

gholloway

Question

I started an afghan yesterday using the pattern called picket fences. Well everything was going good till I got to the end. I couldn't get it right. I started over and still have the same problem. I started out with a ch 145. I end up at the end not exactly like I think it should be. It is suppose to end with 3 dc in the next ch and it does on the first row but I get to the second row and it just doesn't seem to work out. :no Can someone help me or tell me what I am doing wrong. I know this sounds confusing. I just wanted to make an easy lacy looking afghan. Something that I haven't done before, now I know why :blush .

Thank you for any help or advice.

Gayla

10 answers to this question

Are on the 2nd row of the whole pattern? (have you done just 2 rows?) When you say it doesn't work out-do you mean you don't have enough stitches to do 3 dc or you have to many? I'm at work or I would do the 2 rows.

If your first row is correct, then the ch 145 is right. Your second row should follow logically. I'm not at home so I can't try it right now, but I graphed the first two rows, in case that helps. See if that makes sense.

cv_picket_fences_graphed.gif

It is going from the 2 to 3 rows that I am having trouble. I have tried to follow the graph but I just can't figure where I went wrong.:think I know this has to be a simple solution but I just have a mental block or something. :blush I usually am not this slow about understanding things.

Gayla

I am doing this pattern now and this is how it works for me.

The 3dc are always in a sc and the sc is in the 3 ch loop except for the first stitch of a row in which case the sc is in the first dc.

Mimi, your diagram looks like the sc is in the 3rd chain --- so am I misinterpreting it? Or how do you designate a stitch in a loop not a chain/

It is a nice pattern with the 3dc clusters balancing sideways on top of each other. Misinterpreted or not I like the way it looks and that it goes quickly!

Here it is with row 3...

cv_picket_fences_graphed_3.gif

You have to read the graph from right to left on row 1, then from left to right on row 2 (of course you would actually turn your work). So on the second row, you'd start with a sc, then follow all the way to the right. On row 3, you're going from right to left again.

If that doesn't help, I'll give the pattern a try after work and take a pic.

Sofia, usually the way it's done is, if the stitch falls in a particular ch stitch, then it's noted with an arrow or something like that pointing to that chain. If there's nothing, you can assume that the sc is in the loop. I don't have crochet graphing software so I did my best (using Visio then PSP). :blush

Archived