Making my rug lie flat

karcher70

Question

I just finished (well almost) my first rug from the "Easy Rugs" booklet - #2 Bordered Rectangle (I think from Leisure Arts?). Its made up of all single crochet.

I used Red Heart TLC Essentials yarn. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get this thing to lie flat. Its almost like the edges have a little flip to them. Will blocking work? I thought I heard somewhere that only works on 100% cotton yarn. I'm super new, so I could be wrong on that though!

Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

9 answers to this question

I haven't done that pattern, but I often get a "flip" like you're speaking of when I use RSC (crab stitch) on the edges of my blankets. Since you're using worsted weight, this is what I recommend:

Wash your rug in your washing machine, cold to warm water regular cycle. Make sure you don't have snaps, velcro, zippers, hooks, etc. in the load with it. Then dry it in your dryer on a cool setting. (You can use fabric softener). This helps to relax the fibers of the yarn a bit and often gets out some of the wonkiness of blankets.

I just finished (well almost) my first rug from the "Easy Rugs" booklet - #2 Bordered Rectangle (I think from Leisure Arts?). Its made up of all single crochet.

I used Red Heart TLC Essentials yarn. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get this thing to lie flat. Its almost like the edges have a little flip to them. Will blocking work? I thought I heard somewhere that only works on 100% cotton yarn. I'm super new, so I could be wrong on that though!

Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

I don't have suggestions for fixing this but I would be very leery of using a rug that was not flat. I am one of those Klutzes who can find pebbles to trip over :eek and a whole lump in a rug would be a magnet for me :wlol

Let us know if it works. I'm working on a rug all in sc right now and it's a bit wavy. I know from experience that the RHSS will get a lot softer after washing and I'm hoping that it will lie flat then. Make sure that you post a pic!

How much of the rug do you have left to do?

I am looking at the pattern now (I have the booklet). I see for the edging it says to use the smaller size hook. You may want to try using the larger size hook for the edging. The smaller hook may be making it curl up.

How much of the rug do you have left to do?

I just have to weave in all the loose ends. For the edging, I used a simple single crochet edge. The other was a little too complicated for me! It had been curling the whole way thru. :(

I'll try washing it, hopefully that helps!

I don't have suggestions for fixing this but I would be very leery of using a rug that was not flat. I am one of those Klutzes who can find pebbles to trip over :eek and a whole lump in a rug would be a magnet for me :wlol

Me too! That's why I have to get this figured out! If I have to, I can use it in my powder room. That room is too small to get tripped up in!

If it's been ripply all along, then your hook size was too BIG. If it starts to "cup" or curl up into a shallow bowl, then your hook size was too SMALL.

For future reference.

Ahhhh! Thank you! I was not aware of that! Definitely something to keep in mind!

Archived