Help with handle

lola4525

Question

I am making a purse for a friend of mine. She is 11 yo. The pattern call for a shoulder strap that is too long for her. What is the best way to measure her for the strap so that is fits her? Please help. Thanks.

Lola

8 answers to this question

Is it a secret gift or does she know you are making it? If she knows...let her show you where she would like the purse to rest. Everyone likes the strap at a length that is right for them. I like the purse to rest against my ribs and just under my arm if it is a large bag. But if it is a small bag, I like it to rest on my hip.

I'm with you maggie - I like my handles long. My daughter on the other hand likes the bottom of the bag to rest at her waist.

you could always drape a measuring tape over her shoulder to see how long you need it.

or get her to play with a couple purses and measure the handle of the one she likes best.

I agree that purses tend to be a very personal choice. I like a strap that can go "cross-shoulder so it stays in place while I have my hands free toi do what I need to do.

Could I just offer a suggestion about purse straps that I found here at the ville. Use a strand of fine fishing line (or invisible nylon thread) with your strap yarn to keep it from stretching. I love this idea :manyheart. I have had major saggies before and it ruins the project for me when they "go south" :wlol

Thanks for the help. She knows about the project, so I can measure her. Darski how do I incorporate the fishing line into the handle? It sounds like a good idea. She is going to use the bag to carry her books for back to school.

Lola

You just crochet with the strand of line and the strand of yarn as if you had two strands of yarn.

it does work. I did it on a smaller project and it helped.

Perhaps you can make tabs and attach D rings on each end of the purse. Make the straps the length stated, make a buttonhole on the end, thread it through the D ring, and place 2 or 3 buttons on the straps. This way she can button it up, to the length she likes.

Archived