linen centers - how to make your own?

jicamalu

Question

So how do they make that edge on linen centers so that you can easily crochet into it? I've gone through all possible stitches with my new sewing machine and don't see anything comparable. I have tried just poking the hook into linen and then thread crocheted on but the look is a little stressed to me. I could just pick one of many stitches I have (zig-zag being the simplest) and sew it all around the edge and crochet hooking through the edge thread but I really like the look of the hole made just for the crochet to go through. Any ideas?

many thanks!

7 answers to this question

have you tried doing a simple blanket stitch all around it then working into that? That is usually how I do mine or crochet directly into the piece. Also remember when you do crochet directly into the piece you need to ch at least one in between the st and I have used a ruler to make marks to guide me so they are all even.

You can buy a "wing" needle for your machine that will create the large holes that you want.

However, the work is generally worked into a (machine) thread edging. I would think that a serger or the stitch on your machine that looks like that would be a good one to use.

I can see the stitch on my old machine as clearly as I see this screen. The difficulty is that you can't see my old sewing machine... :sigh

:rofl :rofl

Thanks, everyone! I will check out a "wing" needle - not familiar with that. I don't have a serger yet - but maybe this will be the reason I need! The edgerydoo is very interesting - looks like a good solution for fleece. I suspect linen might unravel? I have tried some sewing machine stitches that wrap around the edge but besides my crochet looking stressed when I do it, I forgot to mention that I like the "hole" look and was trying to get that effect too. I'll check again if I'm chaining in between stitches.

Thanks again everyone!

This is called hem stitching. I think you need a special machine to do it.

For linen you need a satin stitch edging so the fabric does not ravel. I recommend that you satin stitch first and then cut the fabric close to the satin stitching.

I found an old handkerchief edging pattern that suggested that you machine stitch with no thread in the machine to make holes for your hook to go through.

Most of the linens that I've seen have a narrow hemstitch.

I've neve done it but I can remember my Grandmother making edging for pillowcases . She would measure and make a strip long enough to go around it then stitch the strip by hand to the case.

She also would put edgings around pieces of cloth the same way to make runners for dresser tops and cofee tables.

Corky

Archived