Stitch Promblem

mrsb_325

Question

I posted this earlier in the week, and had 1 person try to help me, (thank you) but it help me, so I will try it this way. I am trying to make the following Tote Bag.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/NanaBs/?action=view&current=EasyCrochetTote.jpg

I do not understand the "dc in space between next 2 sts".

I have tried it over and over again, and it is ruffled, like there are to many stitches for the round. Will someone PLEASE look at the pattern, and tell me exactly what to do, or figure a way to show me. I am beside myself, as I have frogged the first 6 rows about 2 dozen times.

I would be so very grateful, as I am just about to pull my hair out over this. :yes

here is a picture of the finished purse.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/NanaBs/?action=view&current=FrontEasyCrochetTote.jpg

8 answers to this question

Don't feel bad about this pattern not working :grump

Any pattern that starts with only 8 dc in a ring is not going to go well. 8 dc will not form a correct circle - it takes at least 10 and 12 is better,16 is better too. that being said with this pattern (what where they thinking?!!!?)

Here is the first round done and the sl st in the space between stitches,

stup1.jpg

here you can see stitches being worked into that space between stitches (this is a technique I like generally)

stup2.jpg

Here we are 4 rows into the pattern and suddenly, on the next row they want to start increasing stitches.... it's a stupid pattern

stup3.jpg

this has been done by following the directions as they are written. I don't believe it is what they want you to do but it is what they say to do. :rant

I would suggest that you start with

Row 1:12 dc in the ring (includes the ch3 starter)

Row 2: Work (2dc, ch1) into the spaces between all stitches. As per the pattern and the pics.

Row 3: and up to the handles.... work (2dc, ch1) into the spaces between the 2 stitch sets that you have set up on Row 2.

You can use their pattern for handles... I think... how hard can it be? :eek

Darsky, So are you saying to work (2dc, ch 1) for rows 2 through 22?

In this pattern it changes to (3 dc, ch 2) on rows 5 through 18.

What should I do there?

Don't feel bad about this pattern not working :grump

Any pattern that starts with only 8 dc in a ring is not going to go well. 8 dc will not form a correct circle - it takes at least 10 and 12 is better,16 is better too. that being said with this pattern (what where they thinking?!!!?)

Here is the first round done and the sl st in the space between stitches,

stup1.jpg

here you can see stitches being worked into that space between stitches (this is a technique I like generally)

stup2.jpg

Here we are 4 rows into the pattern and suddenly, on the next row they want to start increasing stitches.... it's a stupid pattern

stup3.jpg

this has been done by following the directions as they are written. I don't believe it is what they want you to do but it is what they say to do. :rant

I would suggest that you start with

Row 1:12 dc in the ring (includes the ch3 starter)

Row 2: Work (2dc, ch1) into the spaces between all stitches. As per the pattern and the pics.

Row 3: and up to the handles.... work (2dc, ch1) into the spaces between the 2 stitch sets that you have set up on Row 2.

You can use their pattern for handles... I think... how hard can it be? :eek

Darsky, So are you saying to work (2dc, ch 1) for rows 2 through 22?

In this pattern it changes to (3 dc, ch 2) on rows 5 through 18.

What should I do there?

Ignore them

The pattern I suggested starts out with a bigger base (12 dc) so you will have a larger start anyway. you shouldn't need more stitches. if you want a larger tote, start with 16 stitches in that original ring

just work the (would be) V-stitches for all the rows.

And I can get 12 stitches in the ring of of 4 ch?

Ignore them

The pattern I suggested starts out with a bigger base (12 dc) so you will have a larger start anyway. you shouldn't need more stitches. if you want a larger tote, start with 16 stitches in that original ring

just work the (would be) V-stitches for all the rows.

And I can get 12 stitches in the ring of of 4 ch?

Easily. You can get 16 in there with out much work. 12 is the usual number of dc to put into that ch 4 ring. (unless the pattern uses a DC, ch1 so that you have "16 stitches at the top :wlol )

Darski, Thank you so very much for your wonderful help. I really so appreciate it. It hard to believe this pattern was free in stores, and made for children. It has just about done me in. I tried your suggestion, and even went up to 16 dc in the circle, but it still is not wide enough to be a beach tote for an adult. I give up !!! I have decided to just find another pattern. I am using Lion Brand Incedible ribbon yarn. I hope I can find some pattern that will work. Once again, your kindness is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Archived