how would you edge it?

My graph-ghan that is. You can see pics in the link in my sig, and I'll post another updated pic when I get home. I'm up as high as the bottom row of the "5" so you have an idea.

I wanted it to be wider, but I wanted to follow the graph. I am thinking that if I could give it about a 3" border all the way around that would really add to the overall size? What would look the best? I thought of double crochets and maybe trying a shell stitch after that (I've never done the shell stitch yet so I'm scared of that).

I also have this crazy disco fun fur that has metallic silver in it. I thought it would look great as a final fun edge, but now I'm second guessing that.

Any ideas for me to start? I'll get pics posted when I get home, around midnightish.

Thanks for all of your wonderful help and support, as always! :manyheart

Wow...that looks great! You could do a scallop edge...or you might try a reverse sc..the reverse sc would give it a more straight edge..almost ropelike...whereas the scallops would soften the piece...be sure to post picks when you are done!:hook

If you have any afghan books just go through them and check out the edgings of the afghans, maybe get an idea that way. Nothing about a shell to be afraid of. Most are like single crochet, skip 2 stitches, 5 doubles next stitch, skip two stitches, single crochet.....etc.

Lorry

I think a few rows of DC and then a shell edging (one I like is 6dc, sk 2). I found a great book at Joann's that was 50 sfghan edges. There are several really cool ones in there, and some that are quite large, which would make a nice addition.

Also, the suggestion of flipping through any afghan books you already have for ideas is a good one.

It's looking good so far, can't wait to see it finished!

If you want to add some width to your ghan with the edging, I would recommend this one from Sandi Marshall

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa101505.htm

It looks lovely when done. I used it in a wine coloured yarn and loved it.

One word of caution. This work that you have undertaken is going to be very special. I would hate to see all that work trivialized by fake fur. (Ok, I admit that I am a member of the "fake fur should be illegal" lodge )

Don't be afraid of the shell stitch. It's REALLY easy!

Another thing to think about regarding fun fur. It probably has different cleaning requirements. If you use different yarns in a project you should be sure that the washing instructions are compatible for all yarns used. Just a thought...

thanks again! I was talking with my DH and the fun fur is going back! I'll save that stuff for when I make my peacock tail afghan, I plan to edge the eyes with fur and scrap the tassles. I told DH what Darski said and he totally agreed, and I have to admit that on this particular project, I also agree. That's why I love you guys!!!

When I saw the edging that Darski recommended, I thought 'oh how nice, that's the one with the angel'. Then I realized it's the one with the ghost, oops, when embellished a certain way. (I like it better monochrome, it is beautiful).

Here is an index of edgings from the same site, including simple shell ones. The one called 'celestial edging' subtly suggests an angel. It's not as wide as the other one.

http://crochet.about.com/od/bytype/a/edgings.htm

Maybe you could use the silver fun fur and make your mom a fun anniversary scarf!

When I saw the edging that Darski recommended, I thought 'oh how nice, that's the one with the angel'. Then I realized it's the one with the ghost, oops, when embellished a certain way. (I like it better monochrome, it is beautiful).

Here is an index of edgings from the same site, including simple shell ones. The one called 'celestial edging' subtly suggests an angel. It's not as wide as the other one.

http://crochet.about.com/od/bytype/a/edgings.htm

Maybe you could use the silver fun fur and make your mom a fun anniversary scarf!

I certainly did not know that it had any connotations of ghosts. I am so not going there at all, at all!

Oh no, Darski, I didn't mean you MEANT to suggest a ghost. There is no ghost without the white overstitches, and it looks very elegant when left alone.

I just meant, I'd recalled that this pattern had a 'picture' in it, I was just thinking of the wrong one.

I hope you don't think differently about the project you made with the burgundy border now :eek

I'm sorry I brought it up! I meant no offense.:(

Oh no, Darski, I didn't mean you MEANT to suggest a ghost. There is no ghost without the white overstitches, and it looks very elegant when left alone.

I just meant, I'd recalled that this pattern had a 'picture' in it, I was just thinking of the wrong one.

I hope you don't think differently about the project you made with the burgundy border now :eek

I'm sorry I brought it up! I meant no offense.:(

it's ok, you didn't do anything wrong. That stuff was there and you remembered it correctly.

When I used that edging (plain) I didn't even read the whole pattern because you could make it from the picture so I didn't see the rest of it.

When you said what you did, I went looking. It just shocked me. I should be used to this stuff by now but it catches me off guard once in a while.

I am so sorry if my reaction upset you :hug :hug :hug

Archived