circular hooks

Today my friend gave me Size G crochet circular hooks. i've seen these for knitting but never crochet. how do u use them and does anyone have any patterns for these types of hooks. i'm sorta lost on that whole concept. lol any help would be great. thanks so much

Yup, those types of hooks are used for Tunisian Crochet. Are they double ended... one hook at either end of the cable ... or just one hook with a stopper at the end.

If double ended, they are meant for Cro-hook which usually uses two colors, going back and forth between the two hooks. It's also called "Crochet on the double". Google Tunisian and Cro-hook for more info.

Joan

hmm ok i've read a bit aobut it. i dont think i'm ready for that kind of work yet. lol i just learned to crochet in january.

Don't let that stop you!! :) LOL!

My first project after I taught myself how to crochet, was in tunisian: I made dozens of small squares in tunisian stitch, then crocheted them into a small afghan. And I did it with a regular crochet hook! LOL! I didn't know they made special hooks to do it with!

Would'nt hurt to give the technique a try, you never know!

Ruth

The "circular" hooks you're talking about are used for Tunisian or afghan crochet when the piece is going to be larger than just a square. The rigid hooks don't hold all that many stitches, but with a circular, you can do a full size afghan all in one piece. Afghan stitch makes a very warm, durable fabric that has a grid on it suitable for cross-stitch. It also takes twice as long as regular crochet because you first go one way, then the other to make one row. There are variations that look like knitting and using more than one color can give some interesting effects.

A long time ago, I made a rug using one of these hooks with worsted weight cotton for the pull up the lps half and fabric strips for the pull it through half. Time consuming, but it gave a woven rag rug look.

Archived