yarn help

shelly_bean

Question

Ok I want to make a blanket that has not the number of skeins but the weight in oz and grams, and the yardage. When I am looking for yarn which should I be more concerned about? Example I want to make this blanket that I had made before with just plain ole mainstays yarn. Well I want to make it again, but with a different kind of yarn. right now i am looking at either softee chunky or wool. something like that. Should I rely on the oz, grams or yardage? I don't want to come up short and not be able to find the correct color again. Help please

TIA

4 answers to this question

Well that's a good question...when I am substituting different brands of the same "weight" of yarn, like WW, I make sure I have at least the same yardage/meters, then round up a skein in case (that has saved me on more than one occasion). It's the length of yarn that makes the stitch, right, and even different brands of WW are heavier than others.

But, you are wanting to substitute a bulkier yarn than is called for, a chunky versus WW, right? In that case, the same yardage would cover more real estate. If you go by oz/grams you would probably not have enough. Hmmm....

I always go by yardage...different yarns will weigh more or less per yard, but in the end you need X number of yards to make something if the yarn is of the same weight class. If you're using a different weight class, you're going to have to make gauge squares because if you want the object to be the same size, you will need a different amount of yarn.

I always go by yardage...different yarns will weigh more or less per yard, but in the end you need X number of yards to make something if the yarn is of the same weight class. If you're using a different weight class, you're going to have to make gauge squares because if you want the object to be the same size, you will need a different amount of yarn.

I agree with this. Yardage cannot be counted on if you go up a wieght class. it is going to take more yarn to make a DC in a thicker yarn. Yes, it will be bigger but it took more yarn to get you there.

I would go with the guesstimate of yardage specified plus at least 2 more skeins if you are content with how your swatches work out.

Thanks so much. I was sitting here reading the pattern and doing math equations on scrap paper, adding up oz and then doing the yardage and coming up short on the yardage. Thinking hmmm that can't be right..

Archived