Back post double crochet....HUH?

boo1

Question

9 answers to this question

The BPDC is very much like the FPDC. With the FPDC, you insert the hook front to back and around the post...with the BPDC, you insert the hook from the back to the front and around the post, then continue as a dc.

Check Annie's Attic, I know they have pics and instructions for different stitches, not sure about videos, though.

Sally

do I go behind the post from right to left, and then finish as a DC? (Or is that a FPDC?)

The reason I ask is that I can't figure out how to go in from another direction.

if you're right handed you go in on the right side of the post for both. the difference is going in thru the FRONT of the fabric or the BACK of the fabric...I second going to look at the site Sal recommended

You kinda have to flip your work down so you can see the back side of it. Yarn over, then put your hook in the space from the back. Then flip your crochet up again so you can see the front with the end of the hook sticking through, go around the front of the post with your hook and into the next space. Yarn over, pull the loop back through around the front and to the back side and complete your dc. You just have to flip your crochet back and forth so you can see the back and the front until you get the hang of it.

You have no idea how many patterns I have passed on because I see the dreaded "FPDC" and "BPDC" stitches!

Thanks so much, all of you! :cheer :cheer :hook:yay

the fpdc and the bpdc are uaually used for ribbing if that helps you see in your mind what you are making or if it is EXP (fpdc around next dc , dc in say next 10 dc fpdc) , then it is use as a raised line .on your next row you would work a bpdc around the fpdc .I dont know if you are making a ribbed or a line as I calld it. hope this helps

:yay :yay :yay

Thanks to y'all, I can do front and back double crochets, and that website with the video rocks!

Thank you all so much!

Laura

:lol

4 years after I realized my mother completely taught me wrong, I am still finding speciality stitches that I am still doing wrong and need to correct. That would be another one on the list of stitches that I just corrected permenantly! Thank you very much, won't do that one wrong again!

Archived