HH Violet Beauregard Pattern

lis

Question

I just started this pattern and hope to clarify something. The first 2 lines of the pattern:

Ch 126 and without twisting ch, join with sl st in first ch.

Rnd 1 (RS): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in each ch around, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join - 126 sts.

Does this mean that after ch 3, I dc in the second ch so after finishing rnd 1, I'll have 3 ch (counts as 1 dc) and 125 dc which will make up 126 sts.? :think

8 answers to this question

As I'm obsessed with counting my stitches and making sure the total number is correct, I've another question. :D

Another line from the pattern:

Rnd 4 (inc rnd): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in first st, dc in each of next 61 dc, 2 dc in next dc, place a marker (move marker up as work progresses), 2 dc in next dc, dc in each of next 61 dc, 2 dc in last dc, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join - 130 sts.

No matter how many times I counted, I still come up with 131 sts. Help? :help

One thing to check, did you put a stitch in the same spot as the base of your chain? If so use the next stitch, then you should get the right amount of stitches. That's where you may be getting an extra stitch from. Just my opinion since I am sitting here looking at the book and pattern but, can't see your work.:) If you need more help maybe you could take a picture of where you are having a problem.

I did start from the next st and realised I seem to be short of 1 st when I couldn't do the last inc (2 dc in last st). That's when I started counting the stitches in the pattern.

1st dc (which was ch 3 counts as 1 dc) + 2 dc + 61 dc + 2 dc + 2 dc + 61 dc + 2 dc = 131 sts.

:think

I don't have the book, or the whole pattern, but just looking at what you posted, that may be a mistake, since it ends with 2 dc, maybe you should just start with your beginning ch 3 and one dc in first stitch to start with 2 dc in the first stitch. You need to look at the next round and see if that works together.

I did start from the next st and realised I seem to be short of 1 st when I couldn't do the last inc (2 dc in last st). That's when I started counting the stitches in the pattern.

1st dc (which was ch 3 counts as 1 dc) + 2 dc + 61 dc + 2 dc + 2 dc + 61 dc + 2 dc = 131 sts.

:think

I think that she is trying to keep everything clear but the words get in the way of the pattern (I do this same thing, it is a challenge as to where to put pattern notes)

Consider this:

Ch3, dc in same stitch, dc in next 61, (2 dc in next dc)twice, dc in next 61, 2dc in last stitch, join.

If you consider the symmetry of the design, you want two increases at either side of those other 61 stitch segments. It just so happens that you begin and end with an increase and they are then side by side.

that is just based on the numbers and the symmetry.

Archived