Fixing a Hole in an Afghan

xantha

Question

So, let's say that many, many years ago your lovely Mum made you a very cute green and off-white afghan in what she seems to think was Caron Simply Soft.

Let's say that you have a very cute puppy who decided she liked it so much that she tore some rather large holes in it. :dog

The holes appear to be right along a number of rows, like she managed to get ahold of an end and pulled the stitches out, but I'm not sure. I also can't match the yarn so well because, well, it's old yarn. :)

What's the best way to go about fixing this??

I've never tried to fix anything like this before, but I'm guessing I will just try to match the yarn and then stitch into the spaces and slst together along the top row of the hole? I have no idea, but I think that might work without making the afghan pucker too much.

I'm also not entirely sure what stitch pattern it is, it looks like some sort of a criss-cross pattern.

I'll try to post a picture later! :)

Thanks for any advice! :ty

5 answers to this question

I mentioned that I would post images, so here's what my very-cute-but-destructive puppygirl did to my afghan --

[excuse the really poor pictures; I really need to clean my camera lens!]

Shot of the entire thing. Two holes in the middle and one bit ripped off along the top border (the yarn from that is tangled with the yarn from the huge hole currently).

DSC_1820.thumb.jpg

The two holes:

DSC_1821.thumb.jpg

Close-up of the stitch and how it looks:

DSC_1824.thumb.jpg

I think I'll be able to fix it without too much trouble. I just need to go out and try to match the off-white and the light green color. Hrmph!

Oh, that's so painful looking. I think I'd start with the parts that can be slipstitched together, and then tackle the more complicated parts. That's such a pretty stitch. Hope you get it all worked out.

Archived