Things that make you go "hmmm"

Happy 4th of July! Not much in the way of celebration here, but we remember!

I am bidding on some auctions on the Polish version of ebay (Allegro), picking up some older editions of the magazines I like to buy. One auction is a bunch of Polish magazines called "Robotki Reczne" from 2004, and the cover features a pattern that looked familiar....

Sure enough, the very same pattern is featured in the current "extra" issue of Sabrina Robotki. Not only is the pattern the same, the photo example is identical, except that the image has been flipped. Okay, so these magazines are drawing from the same pool of designs/photos...fine...but repeating in 2007 a pattern that was used in 2004 seems cutting it a bit close...

I like the pattern and was thinking of making it, one of these days when I feel like working the ends of lots of pineapples separately...

I see that happening a lot. Especially with Annie's Attic. If you see a pattern you like, but are unable to find the book....do a little searching because it is usually in at least one of their other books...sometimes more than one.

I to have noticed that. I have allot of the Decroative and Magic crochet mags and they will duplicate patterns between them and from older issues. I really wish there was a good thread/doily/tablecloth pattern mag. being published now

I guess this is nothing new...I have a Lily booklet from 1973 with lace edgings, and spotted some of the same patterns (same photos) on Celt's site attributed to a Lily book from 1956...it's probably a reprint from the 1930's...

They are being published...just not in English or in the US, which I know is what you meant. :)

When we first came to Poland, I got rid of a lot of my Magic/Decorative crochet magazines, and now I'm very sorry. That's why I buy all the patterns I can get my hands on now, because I suspect these magazines won't be around forever, either.

It would be hard to come up with 15-20 brand-new patterns every 2 months for a magazine, though, come to think of it. I don't think there are that many really original designers out there for it right now, so they recycle the old ones. Some of which are really good and deserve to be kept in circulation, too!

I was looking at vintage patterns awhile ago, and I think a lot of them would look very up-to-date and modern if they were worked up and shown in a modern setting, perhaps with some variations. (I hate loose chain-loop edgings.)

Archived