The Schrap

cupcake

A few weeks ago I posted some scarfs and schraps that I had been making here in our winter.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53074&highlight=cupcake

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5085/img0456pu5.th.jpg

I have posted the pattern for what I have now called the Schrap on my blog. It is a cross between a shawl, a wrap and a scarf. There isn't much to it but they are a great little project, particulary for charities.

Thanks for looking, and have fun!

what a GREAT idea!

my mil is in a nursing home and i bet these would go over great!

and my mom is ALWAYS cold and has sweaters and such on, i bet this would be great for her as well.

and my stepmom, if i made it in cotton, it would be great after her diving while she's on the boat!

Hi, cupcake. Just discovered your schrap from a link on another group. I have appreciated your talent and creativity before (translated-I love your stuff!) but somehow missed the schrap. That is just exactly what we -ahem- more mature women need to keep our shoulders warm. I have tried different things, but yours is just what I have been looking for. Thanks so much.

Glenda

Thanks for your nice words. I had over 1,000 hits today on my blog. I cant believe it as it is a pretty basic pattern.

I have also made them for my daughter in the ribbon yarn and for myself. I hope the pattern works for others. Have fun!

Thank you, Cupcake, for the pattern! I got lots of that ribbon yarn when it was on clearance! I love your site, and thank you for all the information that you give: it is fascinating. We used to wear/sell poppies here (U.S.)on Veterans Day and Memorial Day, but one doesn't see them anymore. Too bad.

If you look in a historical costume book, you will see your 'shwrap', but it is a fichu (pronounced 'fee-shoe'). It was worn by the pilgrims, and in the Revolutionary War period. Also in the early 1800's. I think you can see them in movies from Jane Austen novels. I used to make them to wear under a coat so that when you took the coat off you were still a bit warm. (protects the coat, too) Also good in the summer! (I used size 10 crochet thread, in acrylic, which you used to be able to get, and an Irish mesh with a decorative border.)

Your creativity is lovely to see. I enjoyed looking at the birds, and the horses too!

thanks, Zuzu

Hi, again. Since I was so enamoured of your schrap pattern, I made one for me.

http://537.photobucket.com/albums/e88/ambercrafts/GJCrochet Hope that works. The picture does not do it justice. I used double strands of Soft Baby Twinkle in mint with a size K hook. It has highlights of various colors. The first time I wore it, the first place we stopped a lady commented on it and where I had gotten it. I was thrilled. What is special about this pattern is that it fits the shoulders perfectly and you can fasten it without buttons. I hate having to pull on a shawl all the time to keep it in place. And this was a life saver for several place we stopped. It is only 100 degrees outside. I feel funny putting on a shawl to go inside, but it did not stop me. And I have started another schrap from Caron Fabulous Ribbon Yarn. Every time I use one of the "railroad track" type yarns, I swear I never will again, but they work up so lovely.

Glenda

That is such great feedback Rainbow. Unfortunately I cant see your picture, but I am pleased the pattern worked and that you like the end result.

I have made quite a few now for both young and old.

I also want to thank you for posting this pattern. :clap I've been looking for something like this - not quite a shawl yet more than a scarf. I think this is an ideal gift and so versatile - it can be worn in all types of weather and makes a stylish finish to an outfit. My coworkers who get chilly shoulders will benefit from this pattern as well. Thanks again! :)

Sara

• 9 months later...

I'm sorry to unearth an old post like this, but I would LOVe to make this schrap and am having a bit of an "understanding problem" with the very beginning! :rolleyes

I'm probably just not reading it correctly, but at this part:

...this will become the point, 1ch 2tr turn.

3ch 1 tr into top of first st...

I'm just not sure how to get from the first "row" to the second. I can see the point that's been made but I'm a little befuddled about the next bit (and yep, saw that it's in British terms, got it all sorted out there).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!! :D

::EDIT:: Got it, got it! Had a chance to sit down with some yarn, a hook, and the pattern over lunch and found that yep, it was me who had the difficulty ;) For some reason I have a tough time picturing a pattern by reading it! :hug

Archived