why?

sunnyvale_22

Question

i'm trying to do a grah and i did one by just single crochet from right to left. i'm on the 6th row and i notice that the blanket is 'leaning' to the left. what do i do?

i need to find a way to do graphs witout the tussin stich - i just can't do it. and also all the color changes that i have. i did one project with the single and it ended up leaning to the left also. i just need to know what to do. if i turn the work then the colors don't look right in the front of the graph. :(:think i'm so lost right now

10 answers to this question

Does this mean that you stop and start every row and only work rows from right to left?

Two quick suggestions would be

1. be very clear on what is your first stitch and your last stitch.

2. Count everything and be sure it all comes out even.

There is a Sticky posted at the top of this (help) forum that gives tips on doing graph ghans. You might find some help there.

the thing is that i'm braking off the yarn at the end of each row because if i turn the work then when i change colors the graph on the 'right side' doen't look right.

i did this once and the afgahn ended up long on the left side and even on the right. so the project is leaning to the left already and i'm only on the 6th row.

The leaning shouldn't have anything to do with not turning your work. When I made my southwest indian afghan, each row was done individually, breaking off at the end of each row, with no turning of the work and it did not lean.

When you say lean, do you mean the picture is leaning? It sounds like you may be doing your color changes one stitch too late. When you need to switch from one color to another, you need to make the actual change in the last stitch of the previous color.

Example: if you want to change from red to white, in the last red stitch, insert the hook and pull up your loop like you normally do for a single crochet but don't yarn over with red to complete the stitch. Yarn over with the white and complete the stitch. The last stitch before changing color, will actually be half red and half white.

If that is not the problem, it may be that you are accidentally adding an extra stitch at the ends of the rows. Try counting the stitches for a few rows and see if the counts come out correctly.

i'm not even to the pattern yet though - i'm at the very beggining of the work

i've been counting the stitches as i go and they are all even. i'm single crocheting in each single from the botton row so i don't miss any

if it is leaning but the count is correct then it means that you are *moving over a stitch* on each row.

Have you considered just making a simple sc blankie until you have your technique down pat. it will be much easier to do a graph (this is a major step up in the skill requirements) when you are confident in your basic skills.

I agree with darski. If it is not related to the actual graph and the counts for each row are correct, you are probably moving over a stitch each time you start a new row. Make sure you are joining each new row in the very first stitch of the previous row. The way it worked for me was to attach my yarn to the first stitch of the row with a slip stitch, chain one, and then crochet just as if I had just turned my work. Try doing that and see if it works for you.

SC will 'lean' if you don't turn your work. You will need to turn your work for the pattern to turn out right, if the graph was not designed to be made that way.

With SCs where you've turned your work, one row 'leans' a little one way, the next 'leans' a little the other.

Have you ever worked in the round, like a hat, and noticed that the stitches sort of form a gradual spiral? The same thing is happening with your flat piece by not turning it.

Look at http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/ . Tapestry is the same as graphing except you 'carry' the other color (no pesky ends). The site explains that for projects in the round, you have to use a special graph paper to plot out the pattern, to overcome the 'lean' problem.

A crocheted graph will look a little 'pixelated', especially up close. It's a little hard to see your pattern after only 6 rows. Try making a narrow swatch, do more rows, turn your rows and stand back a little. I think you'll find it will come out OK.

Hang in there:)

Another option you might want to try is using diagonal box stitch for your graphs. I carry the other colors along the top and through chains so there are no ends to weave in. Though if you have too many colors it can be a bit much to keep untangled without cutting any.

I personally like the way it does graphs. It's also nice to not have to count out chains, though it takes getting used to for the reading graphs on the diagonal. And both sides come out looking the same, making it good for reversible projects.

Here's two in progress samples of how it looks, if you're interested (the KSU logo square is showing the back side):

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/mint_crocheter/?action=view&current=DSCN0241.jpg

Archived