Silly question?

Coffeywoman

Question

I would like to make a red hat for my girlfriend who is about to join the club, but the pattern I have calls for #5 crochet cotton while I already have lots of #10 on hand. Would any of you know if size 5 is twice as thick as 10? Do you think it would work if I use two strands of 10? I truly don't know if I'll be able to find size 5 here in my town.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question

double stranded 10 is usually a size 3. But if you double it try getting gauge. If you can (and you may have to try different hooks) it will be fine. I think a size 5 is like a size 10 and 20 together.

I would like to make a red hat for my girlfriend who is about to join the club, but the pattern I have calls for #5 crochet cotton while I already have lots of #10 on hand. Would any of you know if size 5 is twice as thick as 10? Do you think it would work if I use two strands of 10? I truly don't know if I'll be able to find size 5 here in my town.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

You should be able to get some Perle cotton in #5. If nothing else, contact Mary Maxim and see if they still offer it. Years ago, I bought this for making Hardanger embroidery but I had to call as it was not in the catalogue.

If I remember correctly, Bellville was a crafty town. Of course it has been a few years (ok decades) since I went through there. :wlol

Those are great ideas. Thanks everyone. But I'm not so sure about the craftiness Darski. Michaels doesn't seem to have much selection in threads, WalMart has less and Zellers pretty much nothing. The only other size I've seen is a 3, but I will certainly go have another look before I start. I will also try triple stranding it and see what happens there. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Archived