Need help with a little leaf

Karen crocheter

Question

I'm still working on a baby blanket from Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies. I'm supposed to make 36 leaves to sew onto the blanket (along with 27 roses.)

The leaf pattern calls for fingering-weight yarn; three strands held together as one. Here's the pattern:

Row 1: Using the G hk, ch 4, 3 dc in 4th ch from hk, turn.

Row 2: Ch 3, 1 dc in next 3 sts, dc in 4th ch of ch 4, turn.

Row 3: Ch 3, 5-dc shell, ch 1.

Weave in end.

I'm okay until the 5-dc shell in row 3. Where do I start the shell? Is it possible that the pattern means 5-dc cluster? It's hard to tell from the photo in the book. However the leaf should end up looking like a 2-dimentional football shape.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Well, you have 5 sts - and it calls for a 5 dc shell, I agree with you and I'd try and see how a 5 dc cluster would look. If it is supposed to look like a football, I don't think a shell would do that. Give it a try, they're little.

It's a cluster. It does make a little puffy football shape (the picture at the front of the book, I believe in the table of contents, is a little better). I can't believe you attempted that one. Even the assembly instructions were a joke. :) They have such beautiful designs in the book, but the directions leave A LOT to be desired. Good luck, as it's a beautiful afghan. Are you making the little leaf hat, too?

Thanks y'all... I tried the cluster and it looks pretty good. I'm a computer analyst by trade and therefore a rule follower. So if the pattern says shell then darn-it, I'll do a shell! :P

Selune, I agree with you about that book; the directions leave a lot to be desired. And for a newbie like me, that's not a good thing! I'll post a picture of the finished product. The blanket is for my pastor and his wife and the baby is due tomorrow! (And I have a long way to go!)

Thanks again!

-Karen

Archived