Looks like accidental decreasing

frogbeer

Question

I'm having a major issue lately of my scarves and blankies getting smaller as I go. I keep counting the stitches, but they seem to be the same all the way through. I thought that maybe I'm starting the stitches too tight and getting looser as I go. I can't figure it out and have had to change the item into something different in order to make the problem less noticeable. Two scarves have turned into purses, with narrow flaps. They are pretty cute, but I've got to stop doing this or I'll never get done with my Christmas list! :eek I appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance.:hook

4 answers to this question

If they're getting smaller as you go, and you have the same number of stitches you started with, it sounds like either you've somehow switched hooks, or your tensions getting tighter.

If it is tension, I'd suggest making sure you're comfortable, not in a hurry, and maybe listen to some enjoyable music or pop in a movie you like that you don't have to pay strict attention to. My family thinks I'm nuts: I pop in one of the Harry Potter movies a LOT when I crochet, I find it helps relax me and it helps with inspiration.

Sally

I agree with Sal, you should see if you can get a comfortable crochet position and technique so that you don't vary your stitches too much.

I am wondering though about how you said it. You said that you start tight and get looser as you go but that should be "Accidental Increasing" as you would get larger with a loose technique

If this is what is happening, you can start with a larger hook for your original row/chains

One technique that may get your scarves done is to make them lengthwise so that you have fewer but very long rows to do. This means you have fewer rows for the effect to take over. I rather like the long-wise scarves lately. (I just finished the school bus scarf... what a hoot! :wlol

if you figure out a cure - let me know - I thought I was the queen of "can't do straight lines"

Yah know, it has taken me decades to get comfortable with where to put my first and last stitches in a row of crochet. :sigh

Archived